hondas k series engine - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
hondas k series engine

this is worthy of posting because of its efficiency.

as most know honda developed their relatively new series of dohc 4 cylinders to replace the b series. these are call the k series: k20a2 in the rsx-s, k20a3 in the ep3 civic si and rsx, the k20z1 in the new civic si, the k24 in the tsx as well as other variants that are in the odessy, element, crv, some accords, etc

i dont now enough about the motor to really get into specifics but thats what this thread is for.

to start off with bragging right, a friend of mine, who probably wishes to remain anonymous for the sake of theives, finished putting a k20a2(rsx-s) motor into his 92-95 civic cx. he decided to maintain the full interior and to keep the car 100% street legal with the only power mods being an intake, header, exhaust, and chip.

he went to they dyno for the final tuning on the setup and jeff evans was able to fine to the motor to 230whp with a torque curve that is flat as a small lake with a 2mph wind.

anyway, to what you guys care about, he has been in the neighborhood of 30mpg. the only driving he does in this car is to the track and at the track for drag and auto-x racing. so thats driving 30 miles, racing then driving the 30 miles again. he races in street mod and does pretty well considering he will not use r-comps and usually places somewhere in the top three of his class, and all the others who beat him are supercharged m3s on r-comps. even other supercharged and turbo cars on r-comps fall short of what he and the car can do on street tires.

his best quarter mile run was a 12.6 and yes, again, on street tires. the tires that were on the car as he was driving there.

now i dont know what you guys are thinking but i think such an avid performer that still maintains 30mpg of combined driving, thats pretty amazingly efficient. by combined i mean race and street, not city and highway.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
K series

I was wondering when a tread would pop up. I love the K motor. I will get one as soon as I can afford it, or my d series lump dies.

It is amazing how the K motor can lean out the fuel ratio to 27:1 compared to 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel of a normal vehicle. The i-VTEC technology is really giving this motor the best of speed and fuel economy in its class!

Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mtbiker278
(in best homer simpson voice)

K Series motor.... [droooooooolll]

They are awesome engines. I keep thinking I should have bought the SI instead of the EX, but it's been doing me fine. The one thing that I've always been amazed with is the compression ratios in those engines. I think most engines run at like 9-9.5:1 compression ratio. My R18 engine runs at 10.5:1 on pump gas, and the K runs at 11:1 on high-test.

As for the annonymous friend, I would think that his civic is a whole lot lighter than a RSX that the engine was meant for. The 30mpg is an awesome number for that engine. Do you know if he has the 6spd matched up to it?
mtbiker278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomauto
It is amazing how the K motor can lean out the fuel ratio to 27:1 compared to 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel of a normal vehicle. The i-VTEC technology is really giving this motor the best of speed and fuel economy in its class!
What k series has 27:1 lean burn? Is that what was in the HX? Is there a 2006 model that uses lean burn technology other than the Insight? Does the Insight use the K series?

Lots of q's here. This is the first I heard of lean burn in the k series.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

My dad got a K24 untuned

He got a 4 cyl. DX auto. I'm surprised how well the car picks up all the way to 4k. He never takes it beyond 4k.

I think it's stupid what Honda did with the Civic SI. They put the k20 in there and added a lot of bull**** accesories. The way I would of done was get a dx civic, take out the motor and tranny. Put in the K24 from the tsx and the 6 speed from the tsx or the civic si, whichever fits. I heard the tsx six gear is even lower than my OD, it's like .066 With that combo it will get like 35mpg. You got a 2.4 liter in a 2600 car.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #6
*shrug*

I don't know why they'd put that k24 in there, it is a civic, after all, but I guess honda's forgetting that already anyway.

Anyway, the point of the Si is to have accessories, the Si had accessories back when it had 105 hp, so why shouldn't it have accessories when it has 200?

I personally like the r18 a bit more, but I haven't tasted all the flavors of i-VTEC.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
I don't know why they'd put that k24 in there, it is a civic, after all, but I guess honda's forgetting that already anyway.

Anyway, the point of the Si is to have accessories, the Si had accessories back when it had 105 hp, so why shouldn't it have accessories when it has 200?

I personally like the r18 a bit more, but I haven't tasted all the flavors of i-VTEC.
I like the R18 too. But the ting I was complaining about is that they put too much crap in the SI. It weighs almost 2900lbs.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
*shrug*

I know, and I was saying that's what the Si is, you can't put too much crap in the Si, because the Si, by definition, is sposed to have much more crap than other things.

Still lighter than most cars these days anyway, but who wants a new car...
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #9
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbiker278
As for the annonymous friend, I would think that his civic is a whole lot lighter than a RSX that the engine was meant for. The 30mpg is an awesome number for that engine. Do you know if he has the 6spd matched up to it?
yea he has the 6spd that came with the motor. also there are k20s that have a much higher cr than 11:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
What k series has 27:1 lean burn? Is that what was in the HX? Is there a 2006 model that uses lean burn technology other than the Insight? Does the Insight use the K series?

Lots of q's here. This is the first I heard of lean burn in the k series.
ive never heard of the k series going lean burn but the civic hx has the d16y5. the insight does not use the k series. the insite has no use for dohc.

c-pac your dad put a k24 in a dx? what year dx? why doesnt he take it past 4k? i hope that car isnt auto anymore...
Old 06-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
yea he has the 6spd that came with the motor. also there are k20s that have a much higher cr than 11:1
ive never heard of the k series going lean burn but the civic hx has the d16y5. the insight does not use the k series. the insite has no use for dohc.

c-pac your dad put a k24 in a dx? what year dx? why doesnt he take it past 4k? i hope that car isnt auto anymore...
no I was just theorizing what would be a good car. he owns a 05 accord. It's basically a detuned TSX motor.