How do I remove the XFI valve cover? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Driving on E

How do I remove the XFI valve cover?

I was at the junkyard today attempting to remove the valve cover of the Metro XFi. I wanted to get the camshaft out.

I removed every bolt I could see, and then I also removed the distributor and every bolt around it. That thing wouldn't budge.

Is there a secret bolt somewhere, or do I need to know a magic password to get that thing off?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Brian D.
You just have to be very patient. After seeing several of these cracked in the junkyard I realized this. I haven't yet taken mine off (to replace the leaking valve cover gasket), but I practiced on one at a junkyard first...then bought it when I successfully removed it, just in case I crack my own. You just have to baby it. Get something thin (blade) and run it along the opening/crease. Then get a flathead screwdriver and work every angle you possibly can on between the head and valve cover...using ANY possible leverage point you can find. This should (hopefully) only take about ten minutes of working it. Eventually you'll get one corner to pop up just a bit. Then you can stick your screwdriver head in there and carefully use IT for leverage when you pry up the other side. Of course, you'll have to be very careful not to ding/score any part of the head with your screwdriver. Good luck & have fun!

Old 09-07-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hmm... since you're just after the cam, will the yard charge you for a dinged head/broken valve cover?

I just checked my manual: it just says, remove the nuts, then the cover. No secret handshake required.

Want me to ask specifically about the XFi cover on teamswift?
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Hmm... since you're just after the cam, will the yard charge you for a dinged head/broken valve cover?

I just checked my manual: it just says, remove the nuts, then the cover. No secret handshake required.

Want me to ask specifically about the XFi cover on teamswift?
If you want to ask, that would be great. I only had a leatherman and a few different sockets with me yesterday, so I was unable to really work hard on it. If I have the time today I'll go back with a prybar.

As for the damaged valve cover, they could care less. I only get charged for what I buy.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

Maybe they should rename the place "Break a Part".
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Maybe they should rename the place "Break a Part".
I can bring my mini-sludge hammer with me
Old 09-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
Registered Member

Looks like this isn't an uncommon problem:

See here: http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.php?p=81149 , go down to Wed Nov 24, 2004

Looks like you need to work the seals off the valve cover studs to get the cover off.

Or just bring the mini sledge.

(If you do happen to get back there to do this, and it works, can you keep the cam timing belt gear too? I'm not sure if it's identical to the stock one.)
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #8
Registered Member

Cheap therapy!

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote