How to remove upper bellhousing bolts - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-26-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Question How to remove upper bellhousing bolts

This is on my 1994 Chevrolet S10 2.2, and my 1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1 (RWD)...I think maybe a stubby box-end wrench could fit, but I can't imagine that it would be enough leverage.

Any hints?

Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

When I did the tranny on my Buick I used a box wrench. A socket just doesn't fit on the upper ones.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
That's encouraging. I didn't actually try yet, I was just looking at it wondering how in the world I would do it.

Any hints on disconnecting the transmission modulator? It doesn't appear obvious.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

Leave it on the transmsion. Just unplug the vacuum line. For a period of time I had a M200 tranny in my Buick (which does not use a vacuum operated modulator) and I removed the vacuum line and capped it off where it connected to the intake manifold.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

How do I do that? It looks like it might be possible to just pull it off of the modulator using pliers but I'm not sure.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

I never removed the modulator. I just left it on the tranny. I'm not saying its easy to get the bolts with a box wrench, but it can be done with time & patience.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

Right...I'm asking how to get the vacuum line off of the modulator, it doesn't look like a typical slip-on.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

On my Buick the vacuum line was a piece of aluminum tubing that was connected via a 2 inch section of rubber vacuum hose that had hardened with age. It took some work, but I did pull it off. If need be you can just slice through it with a razor blade.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
Site Team

I typically use a wrench on my upper bellhousing bolts. Of course since I tightened them myself, I know they are not over-tightened...

If you have the box end squarely and completely over the bolt head, you can tap the wrench with a hammer or "double up" on the wrenches (i.e. attach the box end of one wrench to the open end of the other wrench) and increase your leverage.

All of my vacuum hoses just slide off & on, sorry I can't help with that. But you may have to be more careful with your adjustment hardware for your downshift cable, if so equipped. A misadjustment on that can ruin your transmission (as I'm sure you are aware).

-BC
Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Registered Member

I always use 4 or 5 extensions and a swivel socket while laying back around the tailshaft... I've only done transmission work on F-Body's though. Years from '82-'02 just had ZERO room to get anything on the top of the bellhousing from above. The only way I know how to do them is with 3' of extensions and a universal/swivel socket. Snap-On or S&K I don't remember, but one of them makes some 360* ones that don't bind up... a friend let me use them last time I did a clutch on my Z28. It made the job a lot easier.

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote