is this a d15z1?? (JDM d15b) - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

is this a d15z1?? (JDM d15b)

just got this in the mail today (yipee!)...but I hesitated when I saw this on the block:

"HM
D15B
95"

I was told that this was one of those JDM imported engines and was a d15z1...just wanting confirmation that this is the real deal!

Here's a pics of the engine (it looks to be the correct valve cover and exhaust manifold...so I'm assuming it's the d15z1)

from post #4 in (http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=5770) :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
once again, there are three JDM d15b engines.

There is one that is the EXACT same as the d15z1

There is one that is a normal Vtec engine like the d16z6

and there is one that is the is three-stage vtec engine, offering the best of both worlds.

thanks for any help!!

first350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

Looks like it from this pic.

Take a pic of the vtec solenoid (near the EGR valve mounted to the head). If it only has one solenoid, it's vtec-e. Also checking to see if it has roller rockers will tell you if it's the vtec-e instead of the vtec motor.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
Looks like it from this pic.

Take a pic of the vtec solenoid (near the EGR valve mounted to the head). If it only has one solenoid, it's vtec-e. Also checking to see if it has roller rockers will tell you if it's the vtec-e instead of the vtec motor.

thanks for the help!!!

I think this is the solenoid, right? (looks like there's only 1)

here's another shot w/ the intake manifold removed (what I beleive to be the solenoid is on the right side):

Old 11-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I can't see the pics at work, but look all around on the head and see if there is a P07 stamped or marked anywhere on there.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yes, that's the VTEC solenoid, but the statement earlier about VTEC and VTEC-E motors having a different number of solenoids is incorrect. Performance VTEC motors also have only one solenoid. To my knowledge, the only D-series motor with two solenoids is the two-stage VTEC D15B.
On the other hand, those intake ports look too small to be a performance-VTEC motor, so it probably is in fact a VTEC-E design.
Another thing I notice from those pics is that it appears someone has screwed a bolt in where the VTEC pressure switch should be. Maybe VTEC-E motors don't use one? Can a VX owner chime in?
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
Yes, that's the VTEC solenoid, but the statement earlier about VTEC and VTEC-E motors having a different number of solenoids is incorrect. Performance VTEC motors also have only one solenoid. To my knowledge, the only D-series motor with two solenoids is the two-stage VTEC D15B.
I was trying to make sure it wasn't the two-stage model. Thanks for the input.

It sure does appear to be a vtec-e motor.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Registered Member

thanks guys...everything I've seen appears to point to a d15z1 engine, except for the "D15B" on the block itself...hopefully that's just the JDM-->USDM difference.

I should have the head off this Saturday, so hopefully that'll verify that it's a d15z1.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
Driving on E

that's the d15z1... Japan just called it D15B, along with two other engines. the dead give aways are the "VTEC-E" on the top, as well as the smaller intake manifolid.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:25 AM   #9
Registered Member

Taking the head off?

Are you rebuilding the motor? Or are you just doing it to replace the headgasket?

Old 11-30-2007, 09:34 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
your throttle body intake looks a little bigger then I would have exspected, my vtec-e throttle body is around 2" where the flexable rubber connects to it.
most of the magic of the vtec is found under the valve cover, the 2nd set of valves ride on a rounder, insted of egg shaped lobe most of the time, then move a pin to lock it to the part of the rocker arm that is riding on a regular lobe to alow it to open the valve more, the higher performance vtec engines have all the valves ridding on regular looking lobes, and have an extra lobe that is even more aggressive for when you hit really high RPM, so if you take the valve cover off and a photo of the top side of the head then you can tell for sure.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote