K&N Air Filters - Worth the Money? - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #51
Registered Member

Re: K&N Air Filters - Worth the Money?

I use K&N, but if I lived in a dusty area I wouldn't, it is a problem for long OCI and DOES allow in some dirt when you are driving in it.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #52
Registered Member

I have usually replaced my paper drop-ins with K & N filters at my first or second change. I'm one of those guys who changes his filters every 10K - 15K or so due to dusty conditions. I hate seeing a filter that looks dirty.

I noticed a little bit more power when I switched filters. EXCEPT when I changed the filter on my 2005 Si. I had already purchased an aftermarket intake, and the original oilless filter was letting dirt through, which I could see inside the intake pipe. I swapped it out for a K&N cone filter, and no more dirt is getting in. However, it makes a little bit less power than was made with the original filter. Not that my 2.0L needs a ton of air anyway...

In any case, I like knowing that I can keep a cleaning kit on the shelf and not have to worry about a trip to the NAPA to pick up a filter. I probably spend a little more than I would have spent on a series of drop-ins, but I like the convenience and (slightly) better performance.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
I have usually replaced my paper drop-ins with K & N filters at my first or second change. I'm one of those guys who changes his filters every 10K - 15K or so due to dusty conditions. I hate seeing a filter that looks dirty.

I noticed a little bit more power when I switched filters. EXCEPT when I changed the filter on my 2005 Si. I had already purchased an aftermarket intake, and the original oilless filter was letting dirt through, which I could see inside the intake pipe. I swapped it out for a K&N cone filter, and no more dirt is getting in. However, it makes a little bit less power than was made with the original filter. Not that my 2.0L needs a ton of air anyway...

In any case, I like knowing that I can keep a cleaning kit on the shelf and not have to worry about a trip to the NAPA to pick up a filter. I probably spend a little more than I would have spent on a series of drop-ins, but I like the convenience and (slightly) better performance.
The key here, IMO, is to probably clean it when necessary(not 1 time every 50k etc), but to actually take a peak every couple oil changes to be sure it isn't needing a good cleaning. Some cars using K&N go too long without service and/or in really dusty conditions, and start getting too much sand into the engine.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #54

The amsoil air filter has a synthetic media which has great flow and actually filters the incoming air. And no oil to contaminate the sensitive electronic components. I have a k&n air filter and got rid of it after my uoa showed higher levels of foreign contaminants. Never again will I use one
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #55

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost...er%20tests.htm
In short, the best throw away paper filter is less restrictive than a clean K&N.
dieselbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #56
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

More tests like that, from my meta-sig:

Air filters tested -- paper vs. K&N vs. other brands, and so on:
http://bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

More on K&N air filters:
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=6808&page=2
http://www.metrompg.com/posts/air-filter-part-2.htm
http://www.metrompg.com/posts/photos/ACFBF2A.gif

It turns out that even a clogged air filter won't effect fuel economy.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/maintain.shtml
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

Another similar test: http://www.autospeed.co.nz/cms/A_111486/article.html
Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #57
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
yes! its worth its weight in gold. all you need is the recharger kit for 10 bucks and your good to go for a long time....
Recharger kit? Walmart-types can get sewing machine oil (or 3-in-1 oil) that will do the same thing.
Gasalene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #58
Registered Member

I've learned since last year about how K&N's get cleaned too frequently, and since they pass so much more air initially they 'also' pass more particles if present, especially fine particles.

This leads to a problem when extending your OCI(oil change interval) as Si(silicon; dirt ingestion) can build up and you are then relying on your oil filter to take out potentially wear causing/spiking contaminants which could be avoided instead of trying to use a drop-in replacement for 2-3 HP gain at somewhere around 5,000 RPMs. lol.

I swapped to an aFe Pro Dry S.

MUCH BETTER filter than the K&N drop-in. It is an oil free, 'greater flow than OE' type filter. I'm not in it for that and any gains are negligible driving a FE car that sees peak HP at 5500 RPM anyway. But, it's like getting an Amsoil synthetic that doesn't require as much cleaning, since it wasn't available for my app and it will pay for itself in 3 filter replacements(going by replacing 1 at $15 every 15,000 miles; which is too often but just as an example).

+its nice.

Pics:

The new aFe

vs.

25,000 miles(2 years and 1 cleaning) on this K&N:

Old 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #59
Registered Member

Lightbulb Re: K&N Air Filters - Worth the Money?

When I examined the old paper filter in my car, the problem wasn't really a brand thing, but that the air box was forcing the air into only about 20% of the filter, so I completely ditched the air box and installed a big cone filter (K&N RF-1024). With this, I saw power improvements, and I only got any MPG improvements through driving style changes the additional power (in an automatic transmission) made possible.

Futures Passed is offline   Reply With Quote