locking fuel door - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

Heh I suppose if nothing else the reason for having a locking gas cap is so that it can't come up missing

Because I agree on the siphoning, there's a ball-type vent inside most filler hoses that should block fuel from coming out the cap in case the car were to roll over, this has been a standard for some time and this also prevents any rubber or plastic lines intended for siphoning to get far enough down in there.

But I have locking caps myself, just for peace of mind.
As for drilling a hole that is stupid, more so because of the damage and the wasted fuel, there's no way a thief has enough container to hold whatever comes out so more than likely they steal a few gallons and the rest goes to waste...
Environmental hazards aside this bit of moronism makes the entire car useless...
If I were a judge I'd be for throwing the book at this kind of thief.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
As for drilling a hole that is stupid, more so because of the damage and the wasted fuel, there's no way a thief has enough container to hold whatever comes out so more than likely they steal a few gallons and the rest goes to waste...
Environmental hazards aside this bit of moronism makes the entire car useless...
If I were a judge I'd be for throwing the book at this kind of thief.
Do you think thieves are really concerned about the environment OR the car thier stealing from?

I have a locking cap on my chevette (found it in the spare tire storage area, new never used, even have the recipt in the box that was bought 3 months after the car was bought new )

i use it because i doubt that car has the check ball thing that and it has a really short filler neck so most anything can fit lol

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8307c4 View Post
Heh I suppose if nothing else the reason for having a locking gas cap is so that it can't come up missing

Because I agree on the siphoning, there's a ball-type vent inside most filler hoses that should block fuel from coming out the cap in case the car were to roll over, this has been a standard for some time and this also prevents any rubber or plastic lines intended for siphoning to get far enough down in there..

I couple years ago we weren't using my wife's car so I thought I would siphon the gas out of it and use it in one of the other cars, but I couldn't even get a 1/4" hose into the tank. I don't know how long they have been using this technology, but it is a 1987 Chevy Celebrity.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

ya im not sure when they started doing that check ball thing, i would assume sometime in the 70's when all the emissions/safety stuff got important...
Old 07-29-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

My 1981 Buick has it too... I don't need a locking cap though as most young punk kids who would tamper with it would not be able to find the filler on a 1981 Buick.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #16
Registered Member

i loved those fillers behind the license plates on old cars our 77 chevy caprice had that
Old 07-30-2008, 03:31 AM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
i loved those fillers behind the license plates on old cars our 77 chevy caprice had that
My Buick has it, our old 1981 AMC Spirit did, Dad had a 79 Impala from his company in 79-80. What I like best about the filler behind the plate is that it does not matter what side I pull up to the pump. Right or left. I've even backed up to a pump once when a station was really busy. Its really easy to fuel the car.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #18
Registered Member

Years ago I had a owned a rental next to the house I lived in myself.
One night I walked out on the front porch to enjoy the quiet and damn if my next door tenant wasn't crouched behind my vehicle with a hose in my tank just a fillin' up a 5 gallon can......AWKWARD!!!!!
I didn't say anything then I just raised his rent up $100/mo and told him how expensive the locking gas caps were.
I never got over being pissed off about that tho. I often encouraged him to move out by offering him a "relocation rebate" of $500. But then the Poor bastard got mouth cancer and died. I think it was from chewing copenhagen. So besides all the free gas (who knows how much over the years) he got about a year of free rent.
I'm still pissed off tho.

I miss my Metro
gungadin is offline   Reply With Quote