looking at a new car, '82 civic dx - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
't need another car, but it's so cute! someone in town has what appers to be a 1982 honda civic dx two door hatch back, I think it should have a 1.5L 67hp engine. I didn't see any rust or damage on it, so I left a note stating that if they ever want

I know I don't need another car, but it's so cute! someone in town has what appers to be a 1982 honda civic dx two door hatch back, I think it should have a 1.5L 67hp engine.
I didn't see any rust or damage on it, so I left a note stating that if they ever wanted to sell it to contact me, so I got an email a few weeks latter stating that they had put two new tires on it, new clutch, 3rd gear is totaly missing, and that they have $600 invested in it, there are two junk yards that have trannys, both want $150, and I would think it'd be an easy change.
however I can't seem to find any specs on the internet for this car, things like weight, mpg, thing I would want to know befor I invest any money in to another car, and of course I think I should get rid of at least one of my other cars befor buying a new one, so if this guy would take $600-700 it seems like a good deal if it's going to get good mileage, or at least have the possiblity for mileage, and have a back seat, something my crx-hf doesn't have.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Driving on E

I think the 82 is a 1.3L

I think the 82 is a 1.3L engine, not 1.5L. there are two at a junkyard near me, but they're both probably gone by now.

Downside: Carburated. It will always be rich due to the fact that there is no o2 sensor.

They are really cute cars, and I considered getting one for an EV conversion. Maybe I will still.

Send a PM to jonathan_ed3 and he should be able to tell you more about these cars, as he has a 83 and a 79.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:37 AM   #3

Re: I think the 82 is a 1.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Send a PM to jonathan_ed3
Is he on this board? He has been a great help to me with my 4th Generation Civics through H-T.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Driving on E

Re: I think the 82 is a 1.3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Send a PM to jonathan_ed3
Is he on this board? He has been a great help to me with my 4th Generation Civics through H-T.
Yeah, he's a friend of mine. I'm unsure how we became friends (online friends at least) but I think it is b/c we both have sedans and both have older civics (my n600 vs his 79, which he is going to drop a z6 into )

He's a total help, and seems to really know his stuff.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I'm not 100% sure, but from

I'm not 100% sure, but from what I could find, it sounds like they started making the civic DX in 1980 (a step above the base modle) and that it has a 1.5L, aparently the base modle, and the FE had a 1.3L.
I'm pretty sure all that civics of that erra sold in the US had the cvcc head, meening rich fuel mix by the spark plug, lean mix in the rest of the combustion chamber.
I agree with carburators being a little harder to work with, and that their lack of o2 sensor makes getting a leaner burn without engine damage dificult, but if it turns out to be a 1,600 pound car that is tuned for ecconomy, then it seems like it might be worth the chalange.
I some how managed to get 42.2mpg (will have to post gas logs at some point) with my 3rd generation civic dx hatchback, it had a carburator as well, but they some how made it work with an o2 sensor... I was very confused, but it worked great!
I'll do some more checking befor offering the guy any money, but I figure if a 24 year old car was designed to get 40mpg+ (my brothers 81 civic wagon got between 38-40mpg) it seems like it has all kind of possibilities.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

My 85 CRX HF was carburated

My 85 CRX HF was carburated and had a 4 or 5 wire O2 sensor. There was a jungle of hoses running everywhere with tons of relays. I guess that was how the O2 and carb communicated?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

Re: I'm not 100% sure, but from

If you can pick up a good 2G Civic, grab it. I paid $800 for my near mint red '83 S car, and $150 for a second '83 S car which is really just a parts car for me. I've had my one for over a year now, and I've driven it daily since I got it. It's got 212,000 miles on it and has been very reliable to me so far. Even the a/c works! I've YET to see a 2G Civic on the road here in Dallas...in over a year. From what I can tell, they are decently popular up north though.

You are right about the DX, and also about the CVCC head.

Regarding weight, they aren't as light as one would think. In fact, your CRX HF is probably lighter. My S car weighed 1,878 lbs with full interior including OEM floor mats, full a/c system, full tank of gas, spare tire, jack kit, 15" wheels with 11" brake rotors and ITR brake calipers. The 1G cars weigh 1600-1700lbs depending on if you've got a 1200 model or a CVCC model.

Are you sure the car is an '82? The '82 was the only year to get a cool backseat. They have a pseudo rear bucket seat setup where the lower bench is divided by a plastic console. Kind of like the ITR or the Prelude. Very cool looking, and appears to have only come on '82 cars. It may or may not have been an option; from what I can gather so far it was standard but only during the 82 model year. All the other had the plain-Jane flat rear bench.

As far as gas mileage, when I first got my car with the stock 13" wheels and teeny tiny brake system, I averaged 45-50mpg. A few months after I got the car it started burning some oil (burns 1 quart ever oil change currently, not too terribly bad), and I added the 15" wheels and the huge brakes. I currently average 32 mpg. I'm sure the wheels and brakes contribute to the decline, but so does the condition of the engine. So it's hard to say exactly what it would be if I still had the tiny wheels and brakes. It would certainly be better, no doubt.

Something to look out for on these cars is the headgasket...they are notorious for going out. I think mine is on its way out. But it went over 200k miles, so I'm by no means upset about it. I'm converting to EFI and putting a newer Honda engine in it anyway.

If you want to stay carbed you can do an EK swap. It's a 1.8 liter out of the early Accords and Preludes, and has roughly 100hp. That's nearly a 40 hp jump! Might as well look for one of those swaps if you're going through the trouble of a transmission swap. It bolts in, and I'm sure you could get some great gas mileage with it since you wouldn't need your foot in the gas all the time to keep up with traffic.

Something to look out for is the front and rear window seals. They are pretty much impossible to find new, so make sure they don't leak, or you'll have to seal them up with silicone or something else not cosmetically appealing. Pretty much everything else for the car can be found if you look hard enough on ebay or in junkyards.

Be careful what you get into. My love for old Hondas started when I got an '81 prelude. Now I have a '79 Civic, the Prelude, and two '83 Civics. Not to mention my '89 LX! Never ending projects, that's for sure. Okay, I'm rambling now.

Here's some inspiration for you. The backseat is the cool rear seat I was talking about that came in the '82 models. The red car is mine. I've been waiting on some B&G lowering springs for 5 months now. Those things are on like eternal factory backorder. It's going to look so good when I lower it.

Jonathan_ED3 is offline   Reply With Quote