Moisture out of the tailpipe - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Moisture out of the tailpipe

93' VX Honda Civic. Just over 200k. All maintenance done. The car has a curious amount of water that leaves via the tailpipe. It seems more excessive than just condensation. It will leave a puddle behind the car when ilding. (obviously more when the engine is cold)
I've done a compression test and see 120psi on all 4. I'm not losing/using coolant that I'm aware of.
The car has done this for all the time I've owned it- about 12k.
I haven't been too concerned about it, except that the exhaust also smells different. Not sweet like anti-freeze, not sulfur like un-burned fuel, but different. I didn't notice it until I had to travel with a long load/ the hatch open. I could handle driving for a while in spite of the smell, but the lady of the house could not. I had to strap the load to the roof instead!

Other notes- Fuel economy has been getting better, but it still seems low for all I've done. Average tank has been 52mpg recently, 50psi tires, full grill block, 60mph highway, lowered, etc. Not that I can complain, but I know people who do better with less work.

Any ideas?
Thanks
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

After a 30 minute highway (50+ mph) drive when the temp is 80 degrees or more, you should normally not see any water dripping out of the tailpipe. Cold weather will make the condensation more noticeable.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the response. I know that it's supposed to go away after the engine is good and warm. I'll check this next long highway drive on a hot day. Maine is famous for summer humidity, so I'm not surprised.
Problem is, the other Honda in the driveway (96 civic) barely does this. My car has at least 200% more than that car does.

I suppose I'm just paranoid.
Thanks
B
Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #4
Site Team / Moderator

I've seen cars leave a steady stream of water out of the tailpipe when pulling off from traffic lights.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hondas are notorious for having cool exhaust pipes. When many other cars will have tailpipes that are too hot to touch, the pipes from the mufflers back on most Hondas barely clears 80-100 degrees F. I do not know why this is. that is part of the reason why Hondas hold so much moisture inside their pipes, and why they rust from the inside-out.

This does not explain why you have an excessive amount of moisture coming out your tailpipe, though....
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Registered Member

I'll keep a closer watch on the coolant level and take it for a highway drive over the weekend. I'll see if it's still happening afterward, if i can remember.
B