Most Efficient Header and Exhaust Design - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Most Efficient Header and Exhaust Design

OK, so there's an age-old debate on which header and exhaust makes the most horsepower, but what about fuel economy? I have an exhaust leak and all but the Cat must go. 80/20 Highway/City driving. What is the opinion:

* For the Integra, should I go for the 4-into-1 header, or the 4-into-2-into-1 header?

*Backpressure: leave the stock exhaust diameter
or go larger (or smaller, for that matter).

*The RS-R Ex-Mod may be the muffler of choice (instead of a stock replacement) for sound preference and free-flow.

The CO is getting to me at stops, so everything must go (but the Cat seems to be doing the job for now).

I'm willing to take a sacrifice in power for better economy.

RH77

Old 12-13-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
*shrug*

Unfortunately, this question

Unfortunately, this question is not age old, and you will get a different answer from everyone, and you'll end up figuring I'll just have to go for a shot in the dark and see what the hell happens. I'd try more restrictive, but that's just my shot in the dark. The economy models from honda all came with super restrictive exhausts and intakes.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
Driving on E

Re: Unfortunately, this question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
The economy models from honda all came with super restrictive exhausts and intakes.
he's right. The honda economy models have restrictive intakes and exhausts. It kind of flys inthe face of what everyone has been saying to me for the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyone
More power equals better fuel economy.
See, they just did it again.

Seriously though, I'd start researching the smallest possible diameter you can put on.

I wish we could get a Honda engineer here to talk about why certain choices were made and how fuel economy was considered in the process.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

2006 Civic

Yeah, I figured that "more restrictive" might yield better economy, but too much backpressure could be counter-productive. Since the '06 Civic get's awesome mileage, I'd figure I'd start there with some research. It turns out that it doesn't even have an exhaust header. It has an exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head, and a Cat right off of the outlet for quick burn-off, etc. It's a tidy design, but doesn't help my cause.

Further research shows a direct correlation between more backpressure and decreased fuel economy. So...perhaps leave the header and diamater the same, but add a free-flow muffler.

RH77
Old 12-13-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Re: Unfortunately, this question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
The economy models from honda all came with super restrictive exhausts and intakes.
he's right. The honda economy models have restrictive intakes and exhausts. It kind of flys inthe face of what everyone has been saying to me for the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyone
More power equals better fuel economy.
See, they just did it again.

Seriously though, I'd start researching the smallest possible diameter you can put on.

I wish we could get a Honda engineer here to talk about why certain choices were made and how fuel economy was considered in the process.
Everything I read keeps saying more flow = more power/economy. But more power doesn't seem to relate to economy -- seems like the opposite. I remember when I replaced the muffler on my old civic DX with a free-flow model, the torque went through the floor. After damaging it in a "Winter incident", I put the stock muffler back on, and it felt like it had a turbo installed. Hondas must thrive on that backpressure. We could certainly use the help of Honda engineer.

RH77
Old 12-13-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
Registered Member

Yeah, I think: Bigger Exaust

Yeah, I think: Bigger Exaust Pipes=more air flow=more fuel to keep an even ratio.

The best setup would be free flowing but small (stock size maybee smaller). Manderal Bends and a free flowing muffler would help.

I assume, Bigger pipes also have less air velocity at lower rpm (were most economy driving is done).

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:29 PM   #7
*shrug*

My stock size is 1.5 inches

My stock size is 1.5 inches I think, so think about that. What else...No point in having a high flow muffler with a stock exhaust, defeats the purpose. I think you want to be able to strike a balance between exhaust velocity and backpressure. Not enough velocity and it kind of stews around there.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:58 AM   #8
Registered Member

1.8" I think

I think the diameter is 1.8" -- I'm not sure of the different sizes of tubing, but I can see trying to go down to 1.5" as a solution and find a close-to-stock muffler replacement. Does anyone know what diameter the late-90's Civic HX Coupe exhaust system is? That may be a good starting point...

RH77

Old 12-14-2005, 03:54 PM   #9
*shrug*

I dunno for sure, but I'll

I dunno for sure, but I'll be damned if it ain't smaller than either of your cars'.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

what do you guys think of

what do you guys think of the turbolator

They claim it save gas up to 8.3% (which dosen't mean anything).

"Patented self-adjusting internal control valve responds to RPM load and temperature to equalize pressure and regulate exhaust flow. During high exhaust flow, the internal valve opens to let engine gasses escape freely. At lower RPM, the internal valve closes to regulate exhaust flow and improve engine performance. The result is increased horsepower and torque, improved fuel economy and less harmful emissions—without having to modify original engine specifications. Must be welded to exhaust pipe. "

I would like to try one out if it wasn't $64

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote