New tires are on! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #11
Registered Member

I really don't think the frontal area increased as much as people think when they see the air dam. The independent suspension is quite massive under this truck, almost like an air boat anchor. I have thought about side skirts, I plan on doing wheel well skirts first. The side skirts I want to build mechanical so that they lift and fold out of the way at lower speeds. I do plan on doing a small pan directly behind the air dam, and possibly under the front axle, angling up to the frame. I originally wanted to make the bottom half of the air dam raise and lower mechanically by speed too, but my time gets limited. I'm waiting to see if I'll have to remove the air damn for the winter. This truck is actually used as a truck, on and off road, so I want to keep it functional with out worrying about tearing parts off on some tree stump or snow bank.

Jetta90GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta90GL View Post
The rear axle has clutches in it for positrac, which are mostly burned out. .
You need to change those . It will give you a more positive lock-up and not waste diff efficiency. It "might" probably give you a "little" better fuel economy in the process.

Looks a little higher than stock?? Nice shape though for it's age. Nice truck.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:33 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasUser View Post
You need to change those . It will give you a more positive lock-up and not waste diff efficiency. It "might" probably give you a "little" better fuel economy in the process.
You may be thinking of a locking transmission torque converter- which does increase efficiency.

A positrack rear axle only "locks up" when one wheel begins to spin much faster than the other (like when you are spinning in mud/snow).

IMHO, Bad positrac clutches in the rear axle might make you more likely to get stuck, but shouldn't hurt FE.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
Registered Member

I do have a replacement locker to put in, I just haven't gotten to it. I would put my bet on worn clutches would be better for FE in corners. I have a Detroit Tru Trac locker sitting on the shelf. It's clutchless, and not a typical locker that clicks when you make sharp turns. Back to the tires, I found out today they aren't a miracle on slippery snow and ice. My air dam almost ate a Honda element for lunch at the drive in. lol I wish studded tires were legal in this state.

Jetta90GL is offline   Reply With Quote