O2 sensor voltage fluctuation wildly - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

O2 sensor voltage fluctuation wildly

I have a 95 geo metro. It has a 4 wire O2 sensor. My millage has not been what I think it should be so I hooked a multimeter and a air/fuel mixture gauge up. The voltage and gauge fluctuate wildly from most lean to most rich. I am sure it is not a loose connection. Does this mean the O2 sensor is bad?

Thanks

Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
*shrug*

No, usually narrowband sensors flick back and forth rapidly and the ecu extrapolates a middle point. It's weird but that's how it works.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

It could be bad if it's taking a long time for it to "flick" back and forth. The faster it responds the better mileage you'll see.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #4
Team GasMisers5!

When I had a SuperMID on the Micra, the injector pulse width would fluctuate back and forth, when cruising with a perfectly constant throttle load - again due to the O2 sensor I guess.

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #5
Supporting Member

Giovanni -

Like SVOboy says, narrowbands fluctuate all over the place. On my Saturn, mine fluctuates up and down all the time, but it seems to cheat from 14.6 and up after the engine's all warmed up. When I am in steady-state cruising, the swing is much smaller, maybe 14.6 to 14.9 most of the time.

EDIT : Correction, the 14.6 to 14.9 is the digital/numeric display sample over a longer time period. So I still see the fluctuation. If I get a chance, I will make a youtube of it.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess that little gauge is useless then so back it goes. I am only getting about 41 mpg out of this car and am stumped. I have changed the plugs, dist. cap, and wires. New filters and all to no avail. Any ideas?

Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote