Paid SVOboy a visit! - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #41
*shrug*

I was thinking about seafoam...put most of a can of intake cleaner down the tb though...

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #42
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Dunno the NOx - left the receipt in the car and am too tired to go out to the car to check.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #43
Registered Member

Not including the o2 sensor I just bought and apparently do not need (kinda surprising given the miles on the car and the fact it prolly never replaced) I have invested about $1000. $500 to fix the rattle, replace the alternator belt, the timing belt and do a valve adjustment. $210 to fix the rust. $180 to fix the sticking idle. Still have to get a new cluster for the speedo/odo. About $100 to do the brake job. And the mechanic still thinks my car has a bad ECU because when he hooked up his $7000 computer to it, the RPM revs were not responding in the computer's readout-- staying at 0.

Yeah, looks like I could have fixed the surging idle myself. But time is money soo..... He only charged me 3 hours labor in the end of the day. Gave me a break so I appreciated that. Although the stutter has come back somewhat! Not sure what he did that might have caused it to come back... I'm hoping it's just residual from the TB cleaning. But even the inspector guy noticed it when he had the car on the dyno. Both mechanics did a double take when I told them I get 60mpg with the car. "Wait, how much?" It really is on par with the Prius. Although I think my car is easier to get 60+ than the Prius over a full tank with cold starts.

I did a 0-60 test to help clean out the stuff mechanic sprayed in the TB. 12.6 seconds. Was pretty fun. This is gonna be a lousy tank. I'll still break 50mpg tho.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #44
Registered Member

ay, laddie, that 0-60 test was great fun.

dood, in the end of the day you've got a '93 civic "munchausen by proxy," and there will come a time when you must simply enjoy it for what it is.

but my hat's off to you for all the warbling and horse sense in seeking out the troubles and going to the ends of the world to behoove your little pug-nosed weasel.

we should do more 0-60 tests.

also, we'll snap on the new drum brake hardware kit, apply some new grease, and see if we can't get that dang foo squawk to go away.

henray
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #45
Junior Mint

Once again thanks you TomO! I was definitely blowing air through the thing.

Congrats Jacinto, glad you passed! We don't have those hassles in Indiana, at least not yet.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #46
Registered Member

SVOboy,
thanks again mate. you're a good lad, and a heck of a guy, and a credit to your race, and just a terrific guy, a wonderful person, and, and... i mean that from the bottom of my heart.

hope all's well at dart mouth.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #47
Registered Member

you mean dart mouf. Sure, another 0-60 test is in order.

Say, what's the most optimum way to do the start? Rev up to 4800 and drop the hammer and pop the clutch? Good smokin' fun. We didn't even get so much as a squeak from the front wheels on that test. I think with quicker shifts and a good start we could get 11 seconds. Hmm.. maybe I should get a high performance ECU... and a bigger air intake.. and umm... wait.. this is the gassavers forum. Cya guys, I'm moving to the Honda-tech forum

Old 10-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #48
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I have invested about $1000.
how much did you pay for this car in the first place??
Old 10-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #49
Registered Member

$1800.

In hindsight not the greatest investment, but I didn't have the horse sense then to know that there were pristine VXes all over the country for $3000-$4000. Plus I was sort of in a rush to buy a car and I was sort of bent on a VX and yeah. I knew I was going to put money into it, but I was sort of hoping I was going to be able to solve some of the problems myself, and was totally caught by surprise when I discovered the rear brakes in the shape they were. But that only cost me $100 for all the sprays and jacks and what not and brake hardware.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM   #50
Registered Member

But then again, compared to the $3500 civic VX in Wash. DC which is far, and it needs a timing belt ($300) I'd be looking at $4000 or so with all the driving to get the car or the one way air fare. My car has cost me $2800 so far.

About the inspection. He didn't even test the safety stuff like horn, lights etc.- was end of the day I think - pretty cool--woulda passed tho I think.

HC grams per mile: 00.70 Limit 01.20
CO grams per mile 005.28 Limit 020.00
NOx grams per mile 01.12 Limit 02.50
CO2 grams per mile 203.78 Limit NA

203.78 grams a mile = nearly 3 1/2 tons of CO2 a year! (assuming 15,000 miles driven a year, and I'll be driving prolly more than that) But the mechanic did say it was a crap shoot if the car would pass right after cleaning the throttle body and all the other parts he sprayed with cleaner.