Possum on Brick - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Possum on Brick

I wont to convert my old 1985 slant 6 cyl Dodge pick up truck to run on natural gas my oldest cusion on my mother side gave it to me got 1,200,000 miles on it has 950,000 on a Auto Zone rebuild still runs. If you park it on a hill oil runs out the rear main. I asked my cusion what kind of oil did you use he said eny kind I could find. I have a natural gas well on my Boon dock farm here in Kuntucky. Why I am using ths truck is because it is a experiment seeing how it will work and for now I don't wont to spend the money for a scuba compresor just wont for now to use a 175 psi shop air compressor . Because of the lower presure I will need to use a larger tank and it will go in the truck bed. Been putting off this project but the orther day I was down at the scrap metal yard and picked up off a propane fork lift for $5.00 a Impco Cobra pn 1457964 and a Impco VFF 30 pn vff30-2 301020 and was wondering if I bought a Impco 300 mixer and some shut of valves , wondering if it would work. Cant get eny infromation from the guys that sell this stuff because of they cant sell this stuff for road use I told them I wa putting it on a moterized out house. They stopped talking to me. I am afraid this post may just get replies like --you gonna blow your self up---Hey I'am a cowboy by heart and free American. Natural gas well beat the heck out of cooking oil and every thing else . I wont to say by by to gasoline stations.

Possum on brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 AM   #2
*shrug*

I'm not very well versed on natural gas, but I will attest to the fact that it works, Welcome.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 AM   #3
Supporting Member

I believe they sell kits for this type of conversion. I'd lookup natural gas conversion on google. Even if you are going the homebrew route, you could probably get some information on how it works.

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 05:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
You should be able to get a natural gas carburator to bolt onto the intake manifold in place of the gasoline carburator and run it. There are conversion kits for small engines that are used in electric generators so they can run on either gasoline or propane/natural gas.

Be careful breathing air from an oil lubricated compressor - the oil fumes in the compressed air can kill you. Usually silicone oil is used in scuba compressors.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Registered Member

He's probably talking about using a SCUBA compressor to make the natural gas into CNG. CNG typically runs at something like 3000-5000psi. (Or it might be something like 12000psi, but anyway, it's way up there compared to what a shop compressor can do.)

I wouldn't try to compress NG with either unless I *really* knew what I were doing and had the intake perfectly sealed and added the odoring agent to the gas before compression.....
parasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
You could end up turning the compressor into a diesel engine if you get any air mixed in there and then there is the whole road tax thing to deal with - burning fryer oil is great until Tobacco and Firearms catches up with you then they hit you with road taxes.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote