Power Steering Fluid Leak - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Power Steering Fluid Leak

my wife has a power steering fluid leak...

she has filled it twice in 4 days after hearing that infamous grinding noise. there is no apparent leak(large puddle), but i can see that the return line is saturated. i suspect it's leaking down the underside of the car.

so, there is a return line assembly(metal/rubber) at advance auto parts for $20+ and a rubber(only) universal line for $4. thoughts?

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Re: Power Steering Fluid Leak

I believe the return line is low-pressure. I would want to investigate why it is leaking. I suspect you don't get as much corrosion in Florida as I do in Rhode Island.

My truck's power steering cooler recently developed a bad leak due to severe corrosion. I was able to acquire a brand new genuine GM one at a decent price. Installation was a breeze. I spent much more time cleaning power steering fluid from everywhere it went.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

the car(1997 chevy camaro) is coming up on 15 years w/ well over 100k miles, so it might just be normal wear.

i really need to get underneath it to see what's going on. it's on the "honeydew" list.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

got under the car, cleaned up the fluid spray, and found a pin hole leak in the high pressure hose!

2 things:
is there a recommended tape to use in order to stop the leaking until replacement?
also, in searches, i've found that no directions for this job that specify pressure relief procedures. is this not necessary?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

replaced the hose...the old one looked fairly new except for the tiny bubble and pin hole. it had been installed such that it was touching the lower radiator hose...not the new one however!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
is there a recommended tape to use in order to stop the leaking until replacement?
I see you fixed it, but if you were to take an 2 inches of a slightly larger hose, cut it length wise and rap it around the leak. Then put some hose clamps on it (the more the better) then you would have a good redneck repair.
I wish there was a tape for that, though if you rapped half a role of electrical tape around it and added hose clamps you might slow the leak.

Dr. Jerryrigger is offline   Reply With Quote