project: moral indemnity - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

Every junkyard I've been to tends to seperate the newer vehicles and charge different prices for the parts, if they don't nab the stuff for themselves to sell. Your best bet would be a 96-98 Jetta or 96-97 Passat since they may get by because they're older. In terms of swappage, either get all the wiring/pedals/electronics and figure out all that drive by wire crap, or just get the engine/tranny/linkage (maybe?) and put together a tdi-m. 50+mpg@70+mph, 14s quarter mile.

The thing is*, it's much easier to put a VNT15 and a td fuel pump on a idi to get tdi power and near-tdi economy because they are still cheap and plentiful. Plus, they rev better, so even though they make less torque, they make power linearly, and if the pump is reworked will make peak power at 6k rpm, something like 120-150hp relatively safely on stock components can be had. Cermanic coatings in the prechambers may help with heat losses into the head, and the turbo will get ~10% in terms of efficiency, probably more if you just run boost w/o extra fuel. Idi's also supposed to be better for grease since there's less injection pressure and combustion occurs in the prechamber (can't gum up rings as easily), and obviously, they are cheaper and more plentiful so if you do blow an engine it's no sweat picking up another.

*I'm so gonna regret this, cuz it's another person bidding on the o.k. priced vnt turbos when they show on ebay.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:11 AM   #12
Registered Member

Older grille and Headlights

Did you swap-in a different set of headlights and grille? The first pic has composite headlights and the most current has the sealed-beam variety.

RH77

Old 10-03-2006, 07:43 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
Every junkyard I've been to tends to seperate the newer vehicles and charge different prices for the parts, if they don't nab the stuff for themselves to sell.

The thing is*, it's much easier to put a VNT15 and a td fuel pump on a idi to get tdi power and near-tdi economy because they are still cheap and plentiful.
I completely understand what you're saying, and i've been thinking that if i don't get a complete car, i'll do a tdi-m. turboniumhillfolk (changed to dieselfolk, and just got banned so now he's dieselfolker) convinced me of that, but i've been kinda thinking of getting a whole car for the swap. that way I can get an o2a tranny, etc. etc. And i'm thinking that if i just get the whole car, i might as well put the swap in full.

The junkyard isn't where I'm expecting to get my engine, but i'd like to keep my eyes open if one comes along.

There's a place 10 minutes from my house where they take totaled out cars and auction them off, I've been trying to convince someone with a dealer's license to take me there sometime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
Did you swap-in a different set of headlights and grille? The first pic has composite headlights and the most current has the sealed-beam variety.
Yep, that's what I was talking about with the westmoreland front. I kinda like it, but I'll probably end up selling it since it's worth more to other people than it is to me. I put it on the car yesterday for two reasons: to inspire myself, and to prevent me from stepping on it and breaking it.

thanks for the feedback- Casey.

Edited for grammar. Hey, it's the morning.
bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe goatee
Yep, that's what I was talking about with the westmoreland front. I kinda like it, but I'll probably end up selling it since it's worth more to other people than it is to me. I put it on the car yesterday for two reasons: to inspire myself, and to prevent me from stepping on it and breaking it.
I saw "Westmoreland Front" and glazed over the first post thinking it was something else But definitely a rare find, nonetheless.

RH77
Old 10-09-2006, 04:00 PM   #15
Registered Member

Ok, so there's progress on this car. Sorta.

I got off my *** and took a multimeter to the electronics. The wiring issue is now gone.

But it still won't start. Why not? The pistons are rusted to the cylinder walls, the engine won't crank. I'd heard of this happening to cars that sat for 15 years or so (my cousin's 911) but not on anything that sat for only a year or so (it was broken down for about 4 months before I got it)

Today I put oil in the spark plug holes. Who knows. It worked on the 911.
If it won't start with the starter tomorrow, I'm gonna take the slushbox (my new 90 civic winter beater) and pullstart it, forcing it to rip the piston free.

Wish me luck.

(p.s., You can tell I don't really care much for the engine that's in there, I just don't want to pay to tow the car out to my barn.)
Old 10-15-2006, 03:37 AM   #16
Registered Member

The Passat TDI won't work without a bit of messing around as they are a north-south engine. Not to mention the Vanagon guys keep trying to nab them! I belive that it is possible to get a MkIV TDI engine to run with the MkIII ECU, in theory at least. Can't confirm this as I've yet to see proof, and we never got MkIV TDIs here.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #17
Registered Member

Hi irsa -¨and we never got MkIV TDIs here.¨

Australia has always missed out on the best cars.
Even models like the new beetle took years to get there , same for the new mini.
Here they are all over the place and nothing special , but in OZ ime sure they still get looks.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 AM   #18
Registered Member

The B3 and B4 Passats (third and 4th generation of the B body size from 91-96/97) were east-west engined as they were based on the A3 (third gen of the VW A body, not an "Audi model A3") Jetta/Vento.
These model years of Passat would be a suitable candidate for a diesel engine for the A1 Rabbit or A2 Golf/Jetta. There is a Canadian version of the 95 Passat with a mechanical turbo diesel (engine code AAZ) that avoids most of the electronic controls nightmare of a 96-98.5 TDI (engine code 1Z or AHU) swap.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
There is a Canadian version of the 95 Passat with a mechanical turbo diesel (engine code AAZ) that avoids most of the electronic controls nightmare of a 96-98.5 TDI (engine code 1Z or AHU) swap.

Good to know, you canadians get all the good stuff. Passat synchros, German rabbit GTIs, and now this. Really, I'm going to get whatever comes along that would be a mostly complete swap. I don't wanna have to track down a million different parts off different cars. I made that mistake with my rabbit.

Most of the cars around here that are tdis are A4's, so that's what I'll probably get.

Look at this thread, it says a lot:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=778864
(I'm aware of the differences between the mk1's and mk2's, but this thread still has a lot of good information)

I have standalone on my rabbit, so wiring doesn't bother me that much.

This project is second or third priority right now, I need to save up some more money before I can buy a donor car, anyway. I just want this thread to document everything.

Thanks for all the positive feeback.

edited for grammar