project: moral indemnity - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
Registered Member

project: moral indemnity

So, I bought this car (1992 tornado red jetta gl) in february 2006. not because I needed it, but because It was a good deal. I know. It's sat motionless in my driveway since. The only thing wrong with it (other than the tires needing air) is a bad wiring harness.

anyway, here's a couple (more)pics.

When I got the car, in the beginning of february:

As it sits now, 8 months later, still hasn't moved:

The plan is to find a newer TDi swap, and make this into a highway car. probably a grease conversion.

I haven't posted it until now because I can't find an engine for it, or at least I haven't yet. I want to find a complete totaled car so that I have almost all the parts I need.

Finding a rare westmoreland front (look at the pics, the headlights and grill) in the junkyard today renewed my enthusiasm for it, I'll post more info on it later.

For those interested, westmoreland fronts were put on cars made in Westmoreland, PA. This plant was only open through the '85 model year(the first year this generation of cars was made), and only produced cars for america. People in Europe pay lots of money for these to gain an edge in shows.

Due to not having much to do until I find an engine for this beast, expect this to be a slow project.

maybe later I'll resize that second pic, but i'm in a hurry. thanks for the look.

-Casey

bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
Driving on E

Wow! You post!

Don't worry about resizing, unless you're worried about bandwidth. I have a super secret code installed that resizes it for you.

Anyway, I'd love to see some grease conversions here.

If you want me to look for anything in the junkyard, let me know. When you're driving through next summer we'll hit up a few junkyards and see what we can find.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Do you have old integra wheels on that?

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
Do you have old integra wheels on that?

right now, yes. they won't work for driving on unless the center hub part is machined bigger, though.

both cars use a 4x100 bolt pattern, however, the hole in the center is a couple millimeters larger diameter on vw's than hondas. So you can put vw wheels on a honda, but it's not safe to drive with honda wheels on a vw. I guess they're just "too good" for that.

I borrowed the wheels off the jetta for my civic because the tires had better tread, and the jetta had to sit on something. The jetta-wheels (teardrops if you're familiar with how vw gives a name to each wheel design) are, in my opinion, ugly.

Anyway, Matt, if you see any totaled tdi cars in the junkyard that the engine compartment/wiring is relatively untouched, i'd love you for life. Or if you see a car with a grease conversion, let me know.

Thanks for the support, Casey.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpipe goatee
right now, yes. they won't work for driving on unless the center hub part is machined bigger, though.

both cars use a 4x100 bolt pattern, however, the hole in the center is a couple millimeters larger diameter on vw's than hondas. So you can put vw wheels on a honda, but it's not safe to drive with honda wheels on a vw. I guess they're just "too good" for that.

I borrowed the wheels off the jetta for my civic because the tires had better tread, and the jetta had to sit on something. The jetta-wheels (teardrops if you're familiar with how vw gives a name to each wheel design) are, in my opinion, ugly.

Anyway, Matt, if you see any totaled tdi cars in the junkyard that the engine compartment/wiring is relatively untouched, i'd love you for life. Or if you see a car with a grease conversion, let me know.

Thanks for the support, Casey.
you'll have to tell me which cars to look out for. There are only like 3 rows of VWs in my yard and i rarely go there, but I'll take a look.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 PM   #6
Supporting Member

Bagpipe goatee -

I noticed the classic olden-CA license plate and freaked. You must have that on for show, right?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member

Gl on picking up a TDI, from what I've gathered even junkyards know they're hot, so they tend to be too much ca$h for not enough performance. If you can find one for a couple hundred that'd be sweet, but they tend to go for a couple thousand.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Registered Member

TDi = Complicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
Gl on picking up a TDI, from what I've gathered even junkyards know they're hot, so they tend to be too much ca$h for not enough performance. If you can find one for a couple hundred that'd be sweet, but they tend to go for a couple thousand.
The TDi is really complicated: Turbo Direct injection. Have you tried the TDi Club for advice? I post there when I get the VW Diesel itch. They may suggest that an old Rabbit diesel would be simple, efficient, and could be modded for Bio-D, but I'd check.

RH77
Old 10-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq
Hopefully I can find one at my pick-n-pull junkyard. I think engines are $150 and transmissions are $75.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
Registered Member

Yes, I know all the complications of a newer tdi engine, but I also know the benefits. That's why I'm willing to pay a decent amount of money for a complete car, rather than just the engine. also, while I'm not all about performance, rabbit 1.5 and 1.6 diesel engines are not powerful enough for me at like 57 and 62 horses. this generation jetta came with a decent 1.6 turbo-diesel, but It's still not the best for what I want.

matt: if it says TDi on it, I'm all for it. the one's in the third gen cars are easier for wiring, but their control is obviously not as sophistocated, as well.

2000-2001ish cars and later have an immobilizer, which severely complicates the electronics.

Heh, the plate was just put on there because the pics looked empty without it.

Oh, I added a couple more pics and some description in my first post.