Project: Who here knows how to weld? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #11
Registered Member

For purpose of the poll, I can MIG (gas and flux) somewhat and solder if that counts. I've never taken a class but I can make bad art. I've never attempted any metal work on a car (just a shade-tree McGuiver mechanic for now) but I see it in the future. "I want to take a few classes but I need to finish my major before I start anything else," says my wallet. Good luck on the build, I'm over one year into mine on an '89 CRX HF. Swap engine's in, just need the rest. Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks Mak. That engine swap is awesome, I've been thinking of putting a d15b into mine. Who knows what the future will bring? This car's already on its 4th engine. Right now it's an el cheapo sohc zc. I'm thinking of doing an obd1 conversion to the wiring while its out of the car. I find it real easy to physically change an engine when everything's put together correctly, I want to get the bigger issues fixed first.

bagpipe goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
Registered Member

Anyway, if I came across as a jerk earlier, I'm sorry. I should have used a better title, anyway. Let me go see if I can edit it...

Nope, I can only change post titles, not thread titles.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #14
Registered Member

Eh, I'm not worried too much about my appearance, but I hate it when people piss me off, so I try to avoid doing the same to other people.

Cheers.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:23 AM   #15
Registered Member

When I was at school getting my welding ticket , there was a guy from the isle of white there.
He had an english ticket but not the ISO ticket that we were all going for., so he was there for an upgrade even tho he could weld brilliantly.

He had years of experience building ferries on the isle of white , ,you should have seen him go.

It was like watching a magic trick , especially on half inch plate - verticle up.

I can weld very well , but he was born to weld.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #16
Registered Member

I'm not a perfect welder, especially with a stick. To get myself back in practice, I'm planning on taking some old computer cases from my basement. They're about the same thickness as the panels of my honda. Hopefully soon I'll start on the a-pillar rust, not too much left to strip down. Dash is out, engine's coming out as soon as I fix the suspension on my mom's passat.

I will have pics then.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #17
FE nut

For the purpose of answering the threads question, I weld alluminum at my job. I've been there for just over 6 years. Most of what I weld is thin(~.063) but once in awhile I weld 1/4". In the past, I welded steel for about 4 years. So far, I think I like welding alluminum best.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
For the purpose of answering the threads question, I weld alluminum at my job. I've been there for just over 6 years. Most of what I weld is thin(~.063) but once in awhile I weld 1/4". In the past, I welded steel for about 4 years. So far, I think I like welding alluminum best.
Aluminum is fun (mostly because of the badass sound, especially around 150 Hz!!!), but I think TIG on stainless is the most fun. Hell, welding anything with a TIG is fun.

Anyone that has welded aluminum have a chance to play with an inverter welder? It's so nice...I'm spoiled. When I buy a welder, it will only be an inverter!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #19
Registered Member

The tig I learned on was an inverter welder, It was pretty cool. I've never used a "lesser" one, though, so I don't know how cool it really is.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Anyone that has welded aluminum have a chance to play with an inverter welder?
Yeah . thay are nice , I have used both invertors and conventional tigs.
Invertors give very good power for their size and are coming down in price.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote