Reverse grinded once. Clutch issue? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Reverse grinded once. Clutch issue?

So today when i parked my car and tried to put in in reverse it would not go with clutch all the way down. When i forced it it grinded and went in. It happened few times before. This does not happen with forward gears. Not sure if car was parked in weird way or maybe my clutch is slowely going out? Anyone can shed some light on it ?

sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Reverse grinded once. Clutch issue?

Make sure your floor mat hasn't folded up under the spot where the clutch pedal hits the floor.

If you have a hydraulic clutch, check your fluid level. If the fluid gets low, you will not be able to disengage the clutch completely.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo

If it has been damp out your clutch may be dragging a little, I usually put it in a forward gear to stop the clutch disk from spinning then shift right into reverse ... No grinding that way.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Cool but i'm asking what is causing it not going in first place and then when i force it grinding. I'm pretty sure clutch was all the way in but maybe i didn't pull lever all the way enough to the right and back. I dunno. I was reading that when clutch is going out grinding starts occurring but that is in all gears not just reverse. Happened few times. It could be human error. BTW i think i was told it clutch is hydraulic and its very soft too.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

When a clutch wears it gets closer to the top, disengages at the top of the pedal travel and would drag less when pressed to the floor. The hydraulic clutch is different, if you have air or a leaking master or slave cylinder then you need to pump it part way down then let it all the way up quickly then down to the floor quick to get it to fully disengauge. You should not force it into a gear, not shifting easily means something is not right. If it shifts ok with the engine not running then the transmission and shift linkage are ok and you have a clutch problem.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to kamesama980 Send a message via Yahoo to kamesama980

I don't know about the VX (making the leap that the car you're asking about is the one in your profile) but most vehicles don't have a synchronized reverse. that means that ANY difference in speed or position can result in grinding/difficult to engage. the sides of the teeth are usually angled to prevent the latter but nothing to be done about the former.

try holding the clutch in for a second or two before shifting into reverse. I've had it happen that if you push the clutch in and immediately shift to reverse, the parts inside the transmission are still spinning making the engagement sound bad.

Or it may be that your clutch hydraulics are on the way out, reverse is usually the first to show problems because of the lack of synchros.
mechanic, carpenter, stagehand, rigger, and know-it-all smartass
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
kamesama980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Registered Member

Exact ally which is why I pop it into a forward gear to use the syncro to stop the clutch from spinning then quickly shift it into reverse.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

I'm still not 100% sure i understand what is causing it and how to remedy this? As you can tell I have no idea how clutch works based on what i just said. Anyhow i've been recently paying attention how i put reverse in and so far so good. It's not griding anymore. What i do is make sure clutch pedal is all the way to the floor way down and also make sure i take gear shift stick all the way to the right before i pull it back. I think the later is the key not the clutch pedal all the way in. That's at least my perception of it. Also i will give a try putting it in first gear first if it happens or if it gets worst.

So is this clutch getting worn issue or user error or what specifically?

Thank you guys for your input. It's always greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Registered Member

You push the clutch in until it hits the floor and can't go any further ... All the time!
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Registered Member

I agree with the members above. Try putting it in 1st before reverse to stop the synchros from spinning. If it goes in, you know the clutch is dragging and needs adjustment. I believe the reverse gear has no synchro of its own.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote