Should I buy this VX? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Should I buy this VX?

I am trying to decide if I should buy a 1995 Honda Civic VX that I located for $3000 or possibly less. The good part about the car is, it has NO RUST and is clean inside. The paint and body is good except the front. For the bad, it has 180k miles is missing the stock rims and has some front end damage. The hood was replaced but does not close correctly because the radiator support is pushed back.

Dave
Attached Images

Davegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
I just bought a 1993 VX with about the same miles (maybe a few thousand less) with some front end damage (medium cosmetic dent) and right off the bat I have to pay $475 to do the rear brakes which looked like they'd never been done before and to fix the emergency brake. If it runs well with no hiccups or kinks--then I'd say go for it. Of course get it checked out by a mechanic first as if he finds anything wrong you can use that to bring the price down.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

Two to three grand for a car that may have more than just damage to the front clip is steeeep imo.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
no you should not get that car for over 1500
Old 09-01-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
the car looks like it has been repainted, if that is the case it is most likely because they are hideing body repairs, maybe including rust and bondo, I would never pay $3000 for a car that didn't have a hood that closed, get a quote from a body shop as to what it would cost to replace the radiator suport, and find out what it would cost to replace the rims, take those to numbers and subtract them from what you think the car is worth and offer that number to the person selling it.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

also have the owner take it to a repair shop and have the codes ran on it. This will reveal atleast some of how the car is doing.
bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thursday I called a body shop. They gave me an estimate of $900 to replace the radiator support and $200 more to paint the hood. Considering the missing rims and 180k miles in addition to the front-end damage. I decided not to get the car.

I have also been thinking about a new car. What I really wanted was a new car that gets the same mpg as the vx but not the price of a hybrid. I looked at the Civic, Fit, Yaris, and Corolla in the passed couple of week.

Yesterday I went to look at the Corolla again. This time I searched the dealers inventory online to find one with a 5-speed, cruise and some other options. They gave me a deal I could not refuse on a 08 Corolla S with 5-speed manual.

Dave
Davegr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Sellout. You could prolly sip that car to 48mpg tho. I am beginning to feel very happy about my VX. Especially after the big difference putting in the right spark plugs has made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davegr View Post
Thursday I called a body shop. They gave me an estimate of $900 to replace the radiator support and $200 more to paint the hood. Considering the missing rims and 180k miles in addition to the front-end damage. I decided not to get the car.

I have also been thinking about a new car. What I really wanted was a new car that gets the same mpg as the vx but not the price of a hybrid. I looked at the Civic, Fit, Yaris, and Corolla in the passed couple of week.

Yesterday I went to look at the Corolla again. This time I searched the dealers inventory online to find one with a 5-speed, cruise and some other options. They gave me a deal I could not refuse on a 08 Corolla S with 5-speed manual.

Dave

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote