Spring/Strut Removal - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Spring/Strut Removal

I'm in the middle of replacing my suspension and having a little trouble. First off, rear lca bolts are a nightmare to take off. On the rear driver's side, I managed to get the lca bolt off and the two nuts inside the trunk on top of the strut. My dilema is this. How do I remove the strut spring combo after removing the lca bolt and the 2 bolts inside the trunk? The lca is in the way and I can't get the bottom of the strut back over the lca to remove it. Can I just hold the wheel assembly down with my foot to allow the bottom of the strut to come free off the lca? I can take a pic of this and post it in a little while. Also, on the left side, the lca bolt won't bulge. I tried liquid wrench and an impact gun. No luck

smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
It's common on Hondas for the rear LCA bolts to seize in the bushings. Usually what I end up doing is ordering new lower shock bushings from Energy suspension (not the lower control arm bushings...those are just the two outer bushings and not the shock mount bushings), then wait until they get there before attempting to replace the rear shocks. the aftermarket bushings are really cheap to get. Otherwise it's about $100 per side from Honda to get replacement LCAs...they don't sell the bushing separately. But if you want to spend around $100 total, you can order a set of aftermarket lower control arms from eBay.

Then when you find that the lower bolt is seized, you just take a sawz-all and cut the bolt from between the lower shock mount and remove the shock. Then you torch/cut out the lower bushing with the seized/rusted bolt from the LCA and install the Energy suspension bushings (if you go that route) and install the new shock.

If you go the aftermarket or OEM replacement LCA route, just remove the inner and outer bolts (the one that holds the LCA to the chassis and the one that holds the LCA to the spindle) and the two bolts from the trunk. Pull the LCA down with the shock still attached and viola! You can now install the new shock and LCA.

As far as removing the one shock that you do have free, yes, you can leverage the trailing arm down by using your foot and then reach under the wheel well and remove the shock assembly.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks TomO!!!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
No problem, that's what we go to forums for.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I had a simaler problem, and ended up useing a sawsall to remove the old struts, I also had to replace the suspention bushings, so if you can, order all of them along with new nuts and bolts, as the bolts are grade 10, grade 8 is the hardest you can get at most places, so get the bolts from the dealer, along with the proper nuts, mejestic honda has lower dealer prices, but can take a week to ship.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Registered Member

I was able to get the strut and spring off by stepping on the wheel assembly. Now I'm having problems getting the new strut and spring in. When I step down on the assmebly to try and get the bottom of the strut over the lca, I dont have enough room. Even if I get a spring compressor and compress the spring, the strut will not go shrink to allow me to get over the lca will it?

Ryland, I was hoping not to have to cut but I guess I might have too. I was thinking about taking it to a shop and maybe with a more powerful impact gun, they could get it loose.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

If the struts were removed before, it should come off.

I've never had the bolt sieze after having been off once before.

But I have snapped plenty of those strut bolts.

TO get the oem spring/shock assembly on is quite a *****. I've had success using a small jack under the LCA to compress it in order to get the LCA inner bolt threaded, but a good compressor will probably work the best. I tried using the parts store compressor that you can use for free, but they were always too big for Honda springs.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
If the struts were removed before, it should come off.

I've never had the bolt sieze after having been off once before.

But I have snapped plenty of those strut bolts.

TO get the oem spring/shock assembly on is quite a *****. I've had success using a small jack under the LCA to compress it in order to get the LCA inner bolt threaded, but a good compressor will probably work the best. I tried using the parts store compressor that you can use for free, but they were always too big for Honda springs.
So you're saying if I compress the spring, this will allow the strut to compress as well so it will fit over the lca?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

When you are refitting the strut ***'y coat the threads in some sort of anti seize (Loctite make one as do others) to make removal easier next time.

Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
When you are refitting the strut ***'y coat the threads in some sort of anti seize (Loctite make one as do others) to make removal easier next time.

Pete.
I definitely will. I just need to get the new strut and spring on first.