Standard Motor Products? Looking to buy the infamous 02 sensor - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

Standard Motor Products? Looking to buy the infamous 02 sensor

I'm asking about this company and for any experiences as to the quality of their products or if anyone has heard good/bad experiences. They have the 5 wire/7 pin replacement 02 sensor for the FED VX(92-95), for under $60 shipped off RockAuto or close to that from Amazon(below):\

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor...tive&carId=001

The part number is SG335.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Standard Motor Products? Looking to buy the infamous 02 sensor

Okay, I did more research and found that the one I'm questioning is in fact the one HC had pointed out before and others like jmf have installed with good results. I guess its gone on sale. I'm getting one shipped for just over $57.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=9603

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tor-12752.html

Old 08-24-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Alright guys I did purchase the one from RockAuto; p/n SG335 from Standard Motor Products, for just over $55 shipped.

I will be updating as to any improvements in response/lean burn feel/lugging/CELs etc b4 and after. Also, be sure to check my gaslog as I'll include entries for before and after the sensor. I just switched over to 0w-30 about 100 miles ago. Yet, with the age on the vehicle and it being the first full synthetic oil since servicing the car, I'm not sure if that will be affecting numbers until a few more hundred of miles at least, if not noticeable before a few OCIs with 0w-30. So, FE gains should be in direct relation to the sensor when its thrown in later this week/over the weekend.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ok, I installed the new sensor today. I will post some pictures later. Interestingly, the sensor from Standard Motor Products has 'NTK' stamped on it and the box had the label "Made in Japan". Funny, I wonder how its different from the 24300 NTK model I was considering buying?

Already, the driving is much smoother. No codes thrown since I pulled/replugged the back-up fuse. The car is much quieter and drives with more throttle response and no more lugging! VTEC actually didn't feel like the shimmer of death from before when I asked about problems from the car while under full load. Let's see what kind of mileage change I can get out of this for my next fill up.

Lastly, the sensor I just pulled appears to be the original L1H1 sensor. It was black with years of carbon build up at the center then towards the base and was chalky white at/towards the tip, as well as rusted around the threads(had to do the 'loan-a-tool' from Autozone).

It then makes me wonder if its been running on a bad sensor for over 100k miles!? I'm sitting just over 241k right now and the original sensors probably won't last much longer than 100k in a 'clean' environment.

Also; just a thought, I'm sure not having to rev the car as high from a stop will help a lot.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Registered Member

Sounds like you figured it out! I don't think 02 sensors are supposed to last over 100k, you defiantly got your money's worth.
Is 0w-30w adequate?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

0w30? Not sure what exactly you are inquiring about?

By the way, this car was purchased(I believe a 2 owner prior) about 10k miles ago(at 231k) and since then it's been slowly catching up on long over-due maintenance, so I was more or less alluding to the prior owner probably needing to have replaced it more like 10 years ago.

Okay, I'm about to post some images guys.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Registered Member

Here's a link to an album I posted this to on imageshack.

http://img840.imageshack.us/g/1003308.jpg/

Notice the new sensor with the NTK label? The old one, if you zoom in, has L1H1. So, this Standard Motor Products SG335 sensor, is actually a re-bandaged NTK of some lesser model? I guess it won't last as long as the 24300 that would usually cost at least $200 or so from bulk suppliers. I'll take it! If it gets me 2 years or 30k, its worth it for one 4th of the cost. I'd prefer the NTK's 24300, but couldn't justify the one time buy for $150 more.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 AM   #8
Registered Member

I was referring to the post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
0w30? Not sure what exactly you are inquiring about?

By the way, this car was purchased(I believe a 2 owner prior) about 10k miles ago(at 231k) and since then it's been slowly catching up on long over-due maintenance, so I was more or less alluding to the prior owner probably needing to have replaced it more like 10 years ago.

Okay, I'm about to post some images guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
Alright guys I did purchase the one from RockAuto; p/n SG335 from Standard Motor Products, for just over $55 shipped.

I will be updating as to any improvements in response/lean burn feel/lugging/CELs etc b4 and after. Also, be sure to check my gaslog as I'll include entries for before and after the sensor. I just switched over to 0w-30 about 100 miles ago. Yet, with the age on the vehicle and it being the first full synthetic oil since servicing the car, I'm not sure if that will be affecting numbers until a few more hundred of miles at least, if not noticeable before a few OCIs with 0w-30. So, FE gains should be in direct relation to the sensor when its thrown in later this week/over the weekend.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Registered Member

Oh, okay. Well, it is more than adequate for the little VX, 0w-30 that is. Is the concern wear protection or something along those lines of being adequate? I don't think the gas improvements will be very noticeable at all compared to a vehicle with bad mileage switching to a 0w-30 oil from 5/10w-30.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Registered Member

Okay, so I researched the stamped part number on the new sensor: LZA09-E1

From doing a quick search, it seems like I just purchased a Lambda sensor that is indeed perhaps a re-bandaged NTK?

It appears to possibly be the NTK 24300 itself.

http://www.lambdasensor.co.uk/main/n...?item=LZA09-E1

http://www.lambdasensor.co.uk/main/ntk.htm

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...-wideband.html

NTK # LZA-09-E1 = (NGK 24300)?