Things to look at when buying a Geo Metro - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland
What its worth - 1200 is a great price for a 2000 if it's in good shape. I paid 1500 CDN for my first one ('98), and it needed $400 in parts to get it certified, so 1900 on the road, with a bit fewer miles (70 K miles).

good luck.

Darin
$2,000 is an incredible price for a '00 model. I'd say if it drives and looks fine buy it!

I had to beg to get my '97 Geo for $2,300 (owner originally wanted $2,950) and it had 130,000+ miles on it. There's a '99 sedan for sale at a car lot and they want $4,900 for the thing. I also test drove a completely shot '93 model last summer where the owner wanted $1,200 for it.

Maybe I should go car shopping in the U.S.A.! What's up with the cheaper prices down there?!?

Peakster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
well, most people down here in Minnesota want to drive 4x4 trucks and huge SUVs. Then they proceed to stick 20" (and bigger!) rims that weigh about 30 lbs each on their vehicles. Plus they love to floor it to get around you and beat you to the nearest red light. After that they keep stuttering forward at that red light thinking it will change sooner if they do so. Finally when the light turns green the whole process starts over and they race to be the first one at the next red light.

Oh, to get to the point... the general American population sees Geos and most other hatchback compact and subcompact cars that get anything above 30mpg EPA as a waste of time, metal, and effort since they can't beat SUVs and large trucks to red lights. Therefore they have no value in the United states and must be immediately replaced with a larger, less fuel efficient version of said car.

Jeesh, sorry for that... I guess I was sort of venting. but that pretty much sums up the General American opinion of compact and subcompact cars (with the exception of present company of course )

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
well, most people down here in Minnesota want to drive 4x4 trucks and huge SUVs. Then they proceed to stick 20" (and bigger!) rims that weigh about 30 lbs each on their vehicles.
Here in PA too. I live in hillbilly land where everybody has a truck. When I had my CRX my truck driving neighbors used to call it "the speed bump" cuz hittin that wont even slow me down. I tried to show them that unless they are hauling lumber or something 50mpg is better than 14mpg but it is hard to have a battle of wits with a defenceless person.

It is kind of funny over the last 2 years quite a few trucks have disappeared and been replaced with Subaru wagons.

https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452824

GasSavers_Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
Maybe I should go car shopping in the U.S.A.! What's up with the cheaper prices down there?!?
I'm telling you, we could probably set up a business buying American Suzukiclones and reselling them in Canada.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Here in PA too. I live in hillbilly land where everybody has a truck. When I had my CRX my truck driving neighbors used to call it "the speed bump" cuz hittin that wont even slow me down. I tried to show them that unless they are hauling lumber or something 50mpg is better than 14mpg but it is hard to have a battle of wits with a defenceless person.

It is kind of funny over the last 2 years quite a few trucks have disappeared and been replaced with Subaru wagons.
I live in Maine where there are lots of big trucks and SUVs.

Just tonight I was pulling out of the grocery store and saw a HUGE Ford F-250 that was jacked up. The front bumper was just about even with my roofline. I can't imagine getting slammed by one of those things.....

Though if I did just duck it would probably tear right over me and I would have a nice little open air CRX.

About the Metro, I would say get it as long as it looks solid and feels solid. With it having 80k on it the time to do some fairly big preventive maintenence jobs might be coming right up unless they were already done.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #16
Registered Member

Unhappy

Quote:
well, most people down here in Minnesota want to drive 4x4 trucks and huge SUVs. Then they proceed to stick 20" (and bigger!) rims that weigh about 30 lbs each on their vehicles. Plus they love to floor it to get around you and beat you to the nearest red light. After that they keep stuttering forward at that red light thinking it will change sooner if they do so. Finally when the light turns green the whole process starts over and they race to be the first one at the next red light.

Oh, to get to the point... the general American population sees Geos and most other hatchback compact and subcompact cars that get anything above 30mpg EPA as a waste of time, metal, and effort since they can't beat SUVs and large trucks to red lights. Therefore they have no value in the United states and must be immediately replaced with a larger, less fuel efficient version of said car.

Jeesh, sorry for that... I guess I was sort of venting. but that pretty much sums up the General American opinion of compact and subcompact cars (with the exception of present company of course )
That is excellent what you wrote !!!!
I too hate Large SUV's and Large Trucks, and the way they drive.
GasSavers_roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

Unhappy

Quote:

I think you probably summed up a state of the nation, here, for the U.S. I know here in CA, what you wrote up is a lot more true than not. What really messes with my mind is people like my sister who doesn't have a pot to piss into and yet she drives a 98 Suburban on monster truck wheels and tires. She just looks at me like I'm daft when I talk to her about getting something that it doesn't totally bleed you, to drive. Well Spoken!
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:11 PM   #18
Registered Member

Sorry, got way off target. It sounds like you ought to buy the car!
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
Sorry, got way off target. It sounds like you ought to buy the car!
Agreed!! I'm sorry for venting.

I'm no Metro expert but it does sound like this car is a good deal, even if you have to put some elbow grease into it.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote