Tree animals eat my fuel injector cables and one more? Hellpppppppp - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Tree animals eat my fuel injector cables and one more? Hellpppppppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Yes, you need to replace the connectors, not the injectors & sensors
So at Napa i need to ask for fuel injectors cables and temp sensor cables?
Is that fairly easy to swap by myself. I've done brake pads change before and some soldering but not sure what this job entails?

P.S
On side note you guys think this is sabotage or kritters. On one hand cables are severed all the way up to connector (which could mean that someone cut or simply animal tried to chews its way to more warmth) but on other hand various smashes on cables would suggest cables chewed on. Not clean cuts like you would see with cable cutters. Werid

sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Site Team / Moderator

I think something was hungry. Remember, antifreeze smells and tastes sweet, so if some had been spilled (or leaked) on those parts previously, there may still be sweet tasting residue on it. Go in to the parts store, show them the pictures, and tell them you need pig tail connectors for those parts. They'll know what you need. I would solder the connections, then cover them with heat shrink tubing. It will be the most durable repair possible.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
I think something was hungry. Remember, antifreeze smells and tastes sweet, so if some had been spilled (or leaked) on those parts previously, there may still be sweet tasting residue on it. Go in to the parts store, show them the pictures, and tell them you need pig tail connectors for those parts. They'll know what you need. I would solder the connections, then cover them with heat shrink tubing. It will be the most durable repair possible.
But i thought if i get the cables i don't need to solder? If i could avoid soldering it would be better as solders can always break especially when driving threw holes and it being close to injector. Don't want to take one injector out so it blows later cylinder or engine. I got cables to solder and remote solder tool but was hoping i could just replace wires like you said?
Thank you guys for all your help and opinions. It really helps.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Site Team / Moderator

If you don't want to solder, then you need to replace the entire wiring harness. Personally, if it was my car, I would just buy new connectors and repair the harness. Also, remember, if you cover all connections with heat shrink tubing after soldering them, they will never just come apart unless you have an engine fire, and then you've got bigger problems anyway.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

I just realized I may not have explained myself well previously. A pigtail connector is the connector with a few inches of wire attached to it so you can make your connections easily, like the following example:

If you wanted to replace the entire harness, you're going to be replacing something that looks like this:

Personally, I'd rather make the repairs for the couple connections, than have to rewire the entire engine bay.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
I just realized I may not have explained myself well previously. A pigtail connector is the connector with a few inches of wire attached to it so you can make your connections easily, like the following example:

If you wanted to replace the entire harness, you're going to be replacing something that looks like this:

Personally, I'd rather make the repairs for the couple connections, than have to rewire the entire engine bay.
Jay thanks a lot. This last post makes it much clearer for me. I didn't get it untill you actually posted pics. Thanks a lot for that. I will not be rewiring whole car and will piggy tail like you said. I am good at soldering but heat shrink did not occur to me. Hoping Napa ppl will know what im talking about. Might take a laptop with me to show. Thanks a lot.

Is Radio Shack best place for heatshrink i'm assuming right? Man you guys are aweseome. Awesome forum.

P.S
I will post later links to some high resolution pics i took today in AM with daylight and high resolution camera. Hopefully it shows better the creepy night crawlers damage or sabotage.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

I don't think it was sabotage. If it was the connectors would be gone too. You would also see clean cuts where a tool was used to cut the wires.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't think it was sabotage. If it was the connectors would be gone too. You would also see clean cuts where a tool was used to cut the wires.
That is also what i was thinking. Wire cutters leave clean cuts with rubber hosing going twisting inwards. The wires on the bottom of the car were little bit chewed on like teeth marks OR VERY SLOPPY JOB OF CUTTING WITH DULL TOOL (highly not probable) as human would come with sharp wire cutters and cut it clean and fast. Then there is also factor of opening hood but in hodas i think screw driver would suffice for someone with knowledge. Yeah i think it's critters too. Creepy crawlers.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

I agree with jay- try to buy the pigtails and use solder and shrink tubing on the connections.

If you can't find the pigtails or if you were on a tight budget, you could use crimp on spade terminals with the shrink tubing and make your own harness, but it would look a little messy.

Buying/replacing the whole engine wiring harness would be ideal and less labor intensive, but it would likely be hard to locate one for sale.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Registered Member

Thanks guys. Napa didn't have these connectors. I ordered them from ebay and found some on autozone too but not all. I ordered whole row so i might just cut at main cable and solder there and shrink wrap. It was a rodent as i found teeth marks on connects itself. It tried to take it off. I guess it though it can get inside for even more warmth. Now i have to butane for my solder (not sure where to get it). Lesson learned never park next to tree. EVER!