valve adjustment - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
Registered Member

Nah, on his Honda it has mechanical lifters and an overhead cam. It may well have a little bit of a clicking sound to it, particularly at idle. I would definitely recommend you go visit SVOboy. He can take a look and listen to your car and, most likely help you understand what you need to do to either fix it, or at least keep from getting taken advantage of.

On your water pump, it will probably be fine. It is reasonably likely that it has been previously replaced. It it starts to go out, it will start sounding like a bunch of marbles being rolled together, coming from the front of the engine. If it does that, get it replaced, irrespective of how long the timing belts been on. Other than that, if the seal goes out on the water pump, it can typically be driven for short distances, so long as you keep refilling the radiator, every time the temperature starts to climb unusually high. Don't try that for very far though, it is a recipe for disaster.

As far as mechanics go, if he doesn't have the time or inclination to talk to you, then I would find someone else. Good Luck.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
Registered Member

Ahh, the overhead cam. I didn't think about that factor.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Great! Thanks Gary et al.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
Registered Member

all the fords i worked for 14yrs you can crank down on the timing belt tensioner with no problems. when i switched to Nissan, and cranked on the tensioner, the timing belt sings at idle, you can't hear it running down the road just at very slow speeds. the belt can not be to tight or it will warble or a constant hoot sound. It's poss that the Honda could be the same for t belt tension.
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #15
Registered Member

hey 93VX,

you gotta get yourself a new mechanic bro! this guy's bad news!

go see SVOBOY.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
Registered Member

^^^^^^ this is the guy that did my brakes!! ^^^^^^^ Let's give it up for ... "wombosi" haha, hey man.

thanks ffvben, yeah, it could be the timing belt. SVOboy-- following weekend we wang if you so wish. This weekend I am participating in the Josh Billings Runaground triathlon in my hometown.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #17
Registered Member

sounds like change jingling if I go up a hill in too high a gear (so to cause the engine to lug) is that normal? I don't recall it doing this before, although engine noise was often drowned out by the rattle before having the valve adjustment, belts and rattle fixed.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I get a little of that sound as I load down the motor in a high gear as well. I'll check my valve lash tonight (hopefully) and get back to you on if it's adjusted properly or not.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #19
*shrug*

It sounds like your valve lash is off or mehbe the timing. My mom's car did the tin can jingle when the timing belt skipped a tooth.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
sounds like change jingling if I go up a hill in too high a gear (so to cause the engine to lug) is that normal? I don't recall it doing this before, although engine noise was often drowned out by the rattle before having the valve adjustment, belts and rattle fixed.
To me this sounds like pinging which can be due to bad fuel or the timing too advanced. In my VX I always had to use mid-grade fuel so that it wouldn't ping when going up hills with the RPMs low. But since this just happened after your timing belt install, it sounds to me like the timing could be off a tooth, or possibly the distributer timing is off a bit. You could try adjusting the timing with the distributer and a timing light first, and then if the car is still not running as good as it was before, suspect the timing belt being installed a tooth-off.

Good luck.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote