VSS Help 94 Del Sol VX... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
VSS Help 94 Del Sol VX...

Well, I have to search threw the Service manual but figured someone else might know the answer too...

I've been throwing a VSS codes lately...sometimes with no signs, on long trips I will lose my speedo all together (also my trip meeting ) Well now I swapped out my VSS last night and after a short while, since he car was still warm from the 2 hour trip I just got home from, the speedo dropped again so I've determined that the sensor isn't the problem and its now electrical, I sprained out the VSS and the plug with some automotive electrical cleaner when I installed it so I imagine it is else where...

My question is does the VSS signal go to the Cluster before the ECU, does the signal split and go to each separately? I am curious if it goes to the cluster first if my the problem is my speedo..I have a spare cluster I can swap the speedo out of and a spare dash harness that goes to the cluster if I need but figured someone might know... I am going to test the VSS plug to the shock tower harness plug to make sure it isn't in the engine harness...only problem is I need to drive around and get the speedo to stop working before I can test since it seems once the wires are warm is when they drop...

Any help is appreciated thanks!

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Almost all the VSS issues on honda stem from the sensor, the connector on the sensor, or the speedo itself. You've already eliminated the sensor (as long as you know that one was good). I would just double check for any corrosion on the connector spades, if those look good (maybe hit them up with a little bit of 120 Grit sand paper), then swap out the instrument cluster since you said you have a spare one. Sometimes the Speedometer can go bad and the VSS is good. Check for any tears on the printed circuit board on the back of the cluster that is acting up. Sometimes the speedometers do go bad from vibrations over time too.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote