VX - Check Engine Light during DFCO - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

VX - Check Engine Light during DFCO

During a long highway trip, the check engine light came on in my VX twice. Both times, it was when I was on a long section of downhill, and was coasting in gear. I'm not sure exactly how long I was coasting, but it was at about the 1 mile mark both times (long sections of downhill in northern Oregon.)

Any ideas what would cause this? The light cleared immediately after restarting the car... no unusual symptoms. I was just wondering if this could be a sign of something *starting* to be a problem.

Mileage seems good, got in the high 40s on the trip (perhaps low for a VX, but I've had a pretty consistent average of 44mpg over the past 2 years.)

Old 06-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

Even though the CEL went out, the code is still stored in the ECU.

Get the code by jumping the service connector terminals with a paper clip. It 's located by the passenger side front seat kick panel next to the glove box.

My guess is you triggered a code 48 LAF sensor. My first VX would do this under the conditions you described. I never noticed a driveability or mpg problem when the code 48 CEL turned on on either of my VX's. I guess the emissions potentially would not pass if the LAF sensor was lazy or clogged with something.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote