VX Clutch Problem Need Feedback ASAP - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

VX Clutch Problem Need Feedback ASAP

I have a 100% 1995 stock VX with 120K on the it. The clutch was starting to chatter so I had it replaced. When I got the car back from getting it replaced it was still a little rough when contact was first made with with the flywheel and pressure plate. The mechanic took it entirely back apart and and replaced the flywheel and put a new clutch, pilot bearing, pressure plate, etc in it.

The problem is that I am still getting a rough initial contact of the clutch. Any one have ideas? When I let the clutch out slowly at a reasonable RPM the whole thing starts vibrating. I was thinking that it might be the hydraulic linkage or the engine mounts.

If you have an idea sooner is better because I am going to bring it by the mechanic again in the near future. Thanks!

Wandering Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Registered Member

An additional detail is that it is an OEM flywheel and an aftermarket clutch and pressure plate.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
My VX clutch is on it's way out (will be replaced when I throw in the rebuilt Z1) as well. I recently took my mighty vac and drew fresh DOT 3 through the clutch lines. It helped with the chatter a bit. My theory is this: Brake fluid inherently absorbs water, water compresses more than brake fluid, therefore it cavitates a bit more when the friction surface meets the flywheel surface.

Oh, and did your mechanic hose down the new/resurfaced flywheel with brake cleaner? You must remove the layer of machining oil from parts like that first, othwerise you'll get chatter for a long time.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Use a OEM Honda Clutch!!!

So I went through two after market clutches of the same brand and had nothing but problems. It was initially thought that the flywheel wasn't totally flat after it was turned. The real problem was that the after market clutch I was using was a POS and after changing back to the OEM all of my problems went away. The engagement is now extremely smooth.

Lesson Learned: Use an OEM Honda clutch and save yourself the headache.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

What clutch brand was it that failed to be smooth?

I went with exedy stg 1 clutch disks in both of my last two Hondas. I like them a lot. In the VX I used it with the oem pressure plate which makes engagement a little quicker than stock, pedal pressure the same, but it makes it so you can shift faster. Perfect for me.

I know with my clutches, I had to give it about 1000 miles until they released without chatter and as smooth as they could release.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I would check your clutch slave cylender, when I replaced my clutch I also compleatly cleaned the slave cylender and made it work much smoother, flush your clutch fluid at the same time, this will make it so you have alot more controle over how your clutch is working, when the mecanic first replaced the clutch did he machine the fly wheel and replace the pilet bearing and everything, or just the friction plates? it almost sounds like short cuts were taken, this is why when I replaced my clutch, I did my best to make sure I did everything that might have needed to be done for the next 200,000 miles, as it was over 200,000 miles that the first clutch lasted
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Registered Member

Problem Solved

After two aftermarket clutches I went back to the OEM clutch and everything works great. It is now silky smooth with no chatter!