VX front brake upgrade - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

VX front brake upgrade

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded there brakes on a vx. I heard you can put on ex rotors 10.3" and calipers but not sure if they will bolt to the vx knuckle. Also I assume you would use the ex master and proportional valve. Oh yeah I am using HX rims and i think they will fit over the ex calipers. Thanks for any input, the stock VX brakes suck and I can't take it anymore....

Old 09-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsih View Post
I was wondering if anyone has upgraded there brakes on a vx. I heard you can put on ex rotors 10.3" and calipers but not sure if they will bolt to the vx knuckle. Also I assume you would use the ex master and proportional valve. Oh yeah I am using HX rims and i think they will fit over the ex calipers. Thanks for any input, the stock VX brakes suck and I can't take it anymore....
i have done i few upgrades on civics. yes you need the whole front knuckle you can also use 94+ integra front knuckles. and you dont need to change the master cyl and proportional valve your stock stuff will work fine. but with the bigger brakes they will not clear your hx wheels they will touch the calipers but not by much you need need to grind the top of the calipers to fit!

silversol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Hmm...personally I think you'd probably benefit more from some nicer pads...plus remember tires are a big part of braking too...

If you are dead set on upgrading I'd hit up the local junk yard you can easily snag front and rear disc brakes off of an Integra, it would be easiest to grab the entire spindle off a 94+ integra for the front and grab the rear trailing arms off of a 90+ Integra, get the calipers, brake lines,, ebrake cables (for the rear discs), and its always good to hang out to the misc nuts and bolts...you won't need to do the MC and booster but they can sometimes help...and yes grab a 4040 prop valve

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I agree on the pad upgrade.

Also, proper bedding of rotors and pads the first time around will do wonders.

I autocross with my stock brake setup and it does just fine. Just make sure to flush the brake fluid every two years a long with keeping your rotors true and inspect the rubber hose parts for wear.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

yup pads & rotors best bang ... summit has a nice combo for $120 i believe . theyrs slotted/drilled n ceramic pads. easier than hub/knuckle combo - which i did on my old EF 91 Si hb. and make sure u bleed all 4 . front left then rear right... they are connected like that - to get out all air bubbles
Nden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

ps oh ya i use russel speed bleeder screws in the front. not sure if they have them for the rear of a VX
Nden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

Brakes? Who needs stinking brakes?

Honda-tech has a pretty good brake swap listing if you really need more brake. If you just upgrade to ex fronts, the stock MC could be fine, althought the EX MC would probably improve braking feel.
hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
If stopping distance is your concern then you need to look to the tires first. Larger rotors on their own will only help you if you have a problem with brake fade and/or warping rotors. If you have a problem with brake fade on the street then you need to learn how to drive. Bigger calipers accompanied with larger rotors however improve braking considerably.

Axxis metalmasters are the best street pads I've ever found, though they dust quite a bit. I agree that pads are the best bang for buck brake upgrade. Just make sure to get the rotors turned and then bed the new pads properly.

Cross drilled rotors do nothing for you. Slotted keep the pads fresh as opposed to normal rotors which allow the pads to become glazed over. But they're a waste of money for street use. Now I just stick to the Axxis pads and Brembo blank rotors that run for less than $30 a piece.

With Civic Integra brake swaps (I've owned three Civics now and performed this swap on each), the rule I've found is this. If you swap to rear discs only, don't change the prop valve. If you upgrade the fronts and rears, also swap the prop valve. It is absolutely critical and you will lock up the brakes if you don't. The best master cylinder to swap is the 90, 91 Civic EX 15/16. The Integra 1inch just isn't worth the trouble. The only thing the master cylinder does is change the way the pedal feels. Too big and there is too little travel and too much pressure IMO. Stainless steel lines are great for pedal feel but if you have a big master cylinder and ss lines you have to be careful not to lock up the brakes. It's really not a big adjustment but the brakes will react a lot faster.

On my VX I carried over the Integra front/rear brake swap (SS lines, ATE super blue fluid, 15/16 master cylinder, 4040 prop valve) I had on my previous DX. I have Kumho SPT tires. I hardly have to push the pedal at all. It's a good feeling to have great brakes.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #9
Registered Member

I also disliked the braking on my VX.

I had replaced the rear brake hardware on my drums, and within a year the brake-fade when braking on the highway, was terrible I thought.

I upgraded the front pads to Hawk HPs, replaced the warped front rotors, and added the disc brake prop valve and rear brake setup from a 99 si. Now the braking is better on this car than my previous car, 95 Integra.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member

I never do it by myself, if so you have to find a used GSXR caliper to fit yours. Make sure that the pads sweep the disk fully or it'll be nearly useless. The disk also has to be centered in the caliper, sometimes you can get a caliper that looks like it fits but the disk is offset to one side or the other.

petty is offline   Reply With Quote