VX Ignition Lock Cylinder - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-27-2009, 04:39 AM   #11
Registered Member

I ordered a lock cylinder from NAPA for $62 including key. I guess I'll just have 2 different keys.

I don't want to remove the pins, allowing any key or slender object to start the car. The '95 Civic was the most stolen car in the U.S. for around 10 years. This year it slipped to #2, behind the '89 Camry.

The Haynes manual makes the installation look relatively simple, since I do not have to replace the ignition switch. Originally, I thought I had to replace them both.

Thanks, guys.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
Registered Member

Done. The Haynes manual specied that I would need to remove the shear-head bolts. I did not. I also did not remove the steering wheel. After pulling off the covers from the steering column, I removed one safety-torx bolt and used an electrical tester to push in the pin holding the lock cylinder in place. The only other thing I needed was to use a flat-head screwdriver to hold back the spring clip holding it in. The entire elapsed time from beginning to finish: 15 minutes. Now I know why these things are so easy to steal.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Only takes me 2 minutes to get into a locked civic and drive off with it. But I used to work in a Junkyard and would have to open locked Civics that had no keys and drive them if they were drivable I had a lot of practice with that job. It actually helped me to Jimmy-proof my car really well.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote