VX Quirks - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

VX Quirks

Hi,
After about a year of driving two different VXs, I've come to notice some quirks, and would like to compare notes with others.

First off, last tank was 40mpg all city, one before that was 55 combined. Lovin' it!

On three occasions, when sitting at an idle, we've had the cars die. They have been just warm enough to get to their low idle and for no reason, just stall. A restart gets them going. But it's kind of disconcerting. I'm guessing that it is a "lean burn moment" but wanted to run that by others. These stalls were not often, rather isolated events. The cars have, of course, been totally updated with new ignition components, all proper Honda parts. When they occur, we are not running headlights/heater/ac or anything that would cause the idle to be faster.

Another occasional quirk is the "almost start" sound. Once in awhile, when attempting a start of the engine, and it doesn't catch, the car makes this "fart" sound. It's really odd, and both of the car do it. I'm assuming it has something to do with the cat so close to the head as in the VX design? We had a Del Sol that made no such noise.

Does anyone experience these, or any other quirks you care to share?

Thanks!
Scott

Scott Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The stalling may be fixed by cleaning out the EGR ports and the IACV (Intake Air Control Valve)

The almost start fart sound has happened to my VX on several occasions. Due to me not holding the key in the start position long enough. This may be happening as a result of the IACV and EGR ports needing cleaning as well.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

In nearly 2 years, I've never had mine stall or fart.

My quirk: When the car is below 1/3 tank of fuel, it takes twice as long to start as when it is full. My '99 Civic did the same thing, although I do not remember my '95 del Sol having the same issue.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fetch View Post
In nearly 2 years, I've never had mine stall or fart.

My quirk: When the car is below 1/3 tank of fuel, it takes twice as long to start as when it is full. My '99 Civic did the same thing, although I do not remember my '95 del Sol having the same issue.
Del sols have a different tank configuration than Civics do. That may have contributed to the "non-longer-starting" issue.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Another quirk

Forgot to mention. I have an oil leak from the top of the engine. Looks like it is not coming from the valve cover gasket, and I've replace both the distributor "O" ring and the Vtec valve fancy gasket. Both with Honda parts. Yet I still have a pretty good leak. I'm not convinced that the Vtec is sealed, and I'm wondering if there is another gasket in or around the actual solenoid? It's kind of hard to see what's going on under the intake manifold.

Scott
Old 10-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Williams View Post
Forgot to mention. I have an oil leak from the top of the engine. Looks like it is not coming from the valve cover gasket, and I've replace both the distributor "O" ring and the Vtec valve fancy gasket. Both with Honda parts. Yet I still have a pretty good leak. I'm not convinced that the Vtec is sealed, and I'm wondering if there is another gasket in or around the actual solenoid? It's kind of hard to see what's going on under the intake manifold.

Scott
I got an oil leak in my 94 VX that sounds just like yours. Haven't gotten to fixing it yet. Please let us know if you figure it out first.

Also about your idle issue and stalling - I set my idle to spec and it idles really low, at like 600 rpm, but never stalls or anything like that. I've been driving it for a while too, so don't think it's normal for the car to stall at idle.
djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yep, my idle is at the 600 level also, on both of our VXs. As far as the stall thing, it's been once in 6 months on each car. That's a pretty isolated incident, and wondered if it had happened to anyone else.