VX rpm and speed - what do your gauges read? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

VX rpm and speed - what do your gauges read?

I just read a post by Todd O today that stated his VX was 2600 rpm at 60 mph in 5th gear. My VX is going slightly faster than 80 mph at that rpm in 5th. What gives? Is his VX not in 5th gear?

According to gear ratio calculations, all VX's should be the same. What would account for the difference?

I posted a digital image of the rpm and speed for my VX a few weeks back. Go to my garage and click on the picture in the gallery for a close up view. It would be very interesting if other VX owners could do the same.

Any guesses why the gauges vary except for obvious gauge error? I know that my speedometer is accurate. I sometimes doubt that the tach is right though.

Please share your images and thoughts. Thanks!

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

I don't have any picture, but I can certify that I have the same RPM at the same speed. I'm always 60mph (100km/h) on the highway and my rpm is 1900 near 2000. BUT I can't tell you that in as not always been like that. When I bought the car the rpm was higher then that, I dont know if its because I did some repair or whatever, but since a long time now, at least 20 000km, its 1900 at 60mph. BUT, again, when it's winter, and cold, it take time before its get back to that rpm and speed, its actually higher. I don't know if its because of the cold weather or what, but you getting the right rpm for the speed.

And just curious, did you ever try your 3rd gear near the redline, cause I did and I was near 180km/h, in 3rd! Dont remember what the rpm was in 5th do, I'm wondering but wont try to go that fast, no need.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

I only go above 4000 rpm when I get road rage. I gunned it once to 5500 rpm in 2nd when a gal in a T-bird was driving like a ditz. As I have been getting older (hopefully wiser), I have not been reving my engine above 3K too often.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
the other day when getting on to the interstate I left my car in 3rd gear untill I got up to 65mph, and it was just over 3,000 rpm, or the same engine speed that I would have with a "normal" transmition, at that point started to feel bad for all those other people on the road, and even more so for the people who swap out VX tranny's for a DX or SI tranny, when all they have to do is drive in a lower gear for a simaler feel in proformance.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

Exacly Ryland, if you put a DX or SI tranny, you aint getting more power of the VX engine, you just have to push more the VX tranny so u get the exact same power of a DX (with like 97hp or so). The VX is slow, but so does the DX. But we still manage to get 45mpg + and they dont.
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote