vx springs - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
jmf
Registered Member

vx springs

I would like to replace my springs. I saw these on ebay and the say they fit all civics. Can the same spings fit all civics? Will these work for a vx? They are only $52 with shipping so pretty cheap.
springs

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Registered Member

Why? Do you want to "stiffen" the suspension?

The OEM springs should only be replaced if broken. As far as I can tell, the springs on my VX are original and after 220K miles are, with the OEM shocks, still as good as new.

Save your cash and buy the stuff you will always need, air and oil filters, oil, anti-freeze, etc. And let's not forget gasoline which is THE largest yearly expense for those who drive 20K miles and more like me!

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
jmf
Registered Member

They seem fine when the car is empty, but when loaded the back seems pretty low. I use my car for work and carry a lot of tools, wood and/or people.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Oh. Didn't realize your needs. Not sure if springs will help you though. You might want air shocks or shocks with built in springs to keep the back end level when your VX is heavily loaded.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf View Post
They seem fine when the car is empty, but when loaded the back seems pretty low. I use my car for work and carry a lot of tools, wood and/or people.
sounds like what you should do is put the springs that are meant for the front of the car and put them on the back. I don't know if the civics while physically having the same sized parts are actually the same parts. The civics range in weight quite a bit so maybe you could try using the rear springs from like an EX civic as those should be the heaviest. I don't know if you physically can use springs intended for the front on the rear which is why I'm suggesting the rear EX springs.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Sagging under uneven load is normal. If it handles ok and you're not too close to the bump stops, it might make sense just to ignore it. Else, get stiffer springs, air bags, air shocks, or something else designed for increased load. The idea of putting front springs on rear sounds like it could work and would be the least expensive option (junkyard).
Old 02-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
jmf
Registered Member

I don't want the car to look jacked up when empty. I'm worried that if I put fronts for the rears it will be to high. I wouldn't mind if they where a little stiffer and lowering 1" would help mpgs, maybe. $52 for four springs at my door sounds cheap to me.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't want the car to look jacked up when empty. I'm worried that if I put fronts for the rears it will be to high. I wouldn't mind if they where a little stiffer and lowering 1" would help mpgs, maybe. $52 for four springs at my door sounds cheap to me.
Welcome to the world of a pickup...they're all like that. Either do what I suggested or find some springs with a higher spring rate but same length.. If the springs in the front of the civics is physically the same dimensions as the rear but has a higher spring rate, then using the front springs in the rear would only make sense if you plan on loading down the rear. The reason why vehicles have GVWR is because they're designed with certain characteristics and if the spring rate is not high enough, when you add more weight, the car will sag and bottom out on bumps. Most cars' I believe have a GVWR that is about 1000lbs over its curb weight and the reason being is that all they're suppose to carry is people and luggage. Cars tend to ride better than trucks but trucks can carry a lot more and generally have GVWR that is much higher than its curb weight.

A GVWR can also be there for the obvious reasons like the chassis physically can't carry more than a given amount without snapping into two pieces though I don't think you're carrying anything that would have that as the concern. So if you want to add more weight to your vehicle, think of it like a pickup, what would you do in order to make it handle more weight? Answer? Use stiffer springs.. If you're not aware, unloaded pickups drive like **** anyway so it wouldn't be all that different. But until that time comes, you need to figure out if you're already overloading your vehicle as it is.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #9
jmf
Registered Member

I guess I want it to ride great, carry everything, look good and be cheap, is that to much to ask? I was just wondering if anyone else has changed springs? How much sag is from age/wear and how much is normal? Are new vx springs going to solve the problem? I drive a dodge 3500 van so I know about rough riding when empty, I would like to avoid that, but the car does tip a lot when cornering. It's hard to know what springs will be right until I put them on the car and drive it.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
I guess I want it to ride great, carry everything, look good and be cheap, is that to much to ask?
I think air shocks might deliver what you need (if compatible with your car). They can be had pretty cheaply with schraeder fittings so you can air them up when you load it and bleed them when it's empty. I wish I could remember the site where I saw the whole kit for really cheap...

Otherwise I don't see the problem just driving it sagging when full, or if you usually drive full then driving it tall when empty.