VX with no O2 sensor - California or 49 state? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

VX with no O2 sensor - California or 49 state?

edit: meant 49-state. D'oh!

hi all. I'm hoping all you knowledgeable folks can help me out.

I've run into a VX with no O2 sensor in place (no idea why someone would do that). How do I tell whether it's California or 49 state?

Here's what it says under the hood:

(click it to enlarge)
Does that last part mean that it's California compliant with no lean burn?

Secondly, does running the car without an O2 sensor mean that the Catalytic converter is toast and that I'll need a new one?

And Thirdly, do you all have any recommendations where i can buy the appropriate O2 sensor? (I've heard they can get quite pricey)

Thanks in advance!

GasSavers_mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Junior Mint

Smile

Welcome to the forum Mango! I'm new here to and I'm sure someone smarter than me will come along with answers for you. My guess is that it is likely a Cali VX, since I don't recall seeing that decal on mine. But, I could very well be wrong!

On question 2, my best guess is yes, prolly toast.

On #3, I can =tell you that I'm running an L2H2 which is supposed to be the replacement for the L1H1, the OEM sensor now available only thru the Honda stealer. I've read that there is a Bosch sensor that works too. Lots of people around here have had mixed results with the L2H2, though I'm not one of them. I think Danronian is running one and he gets a CEL indication until it warms up. Others have had constsnt CELs with the L2H2. I had a CEL code indicating the O2 sensor and since replacing it with the L2H2 have had no problems and no additional codes thrown. I paid about $180 for my sensor on ebay. If you want to know I can look up to see who I got it from. I think Danronian paid about $80 and the stealer wants about $400 for theirs. Best o luck!

Old 11-25-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

That's a CA car. If you're not going to replace the ECU and wire it for the 49 state O2 sensor, get the one for the CA car (they are different)
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

Find the electrical connector for your non-existant oxygen sensor. If it has 4 wires, just about any '92+ Civic oxygen sensor should work.
Majestic Honda lists a brand new CA spec O2 sensor at about $140, compared to $320 for a 49-state sensor. So yeah, you're probably just looking for a standard 4-wire sensor.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
  1. Cali model VX
  2. The car runs a tad rich with no O2 but there is hope for the cat still
  3. Normal 4 wire O2 for the Cali version, should be around $100 at a reputable parts store or a little more at Honda dealer

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

I agree with these comments.

Welcome to the board!

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Registered Member

Fellas, I do really appreciate it! I do feel very welcome to the forum, dogncatboy. Thank you! I gotta tell you how refreshing it is to find such a group of people that share this great interest and that are so willing to help! It's awesome. really. You all gotta be pretty damn proud of yourselves!

Now that I've greased you all up I've got more n00b questions:

I went to the auto parts store and picked up the 4-wire O2 sensor that the dude's computer said was compatible with the VX.

Being the dingus that I am, I didn't check it out till i got home. The plug on the o2 sensor does not match the receiving plug on the car.

This is what I bought:

and this is what's in the car:

The plug in the car actually has 7 wires.

It's obvious that I got the wrong kind of 02 sensor. Is there a different kind of 4-wire sensor that has the appropriate kind of plug? Is there a chance that this needs a 5-wire (the seven wires on the receiving plug have got me wondering)?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
If you actually have 7 wires on the Harness plug (the harness that is attached to the car, not the actual O2) for the O2, then you need a 5 wire (L1H1) O2 sensor. The seven wires, on the car side of things, is for the ECU to be able to read a resistor that is in the plug of the O2 sensor. That is why there is 7 wires on the car side of things and only 5 on the O2 sensor itself.

This gets me wondering though. can you send me the VIN number of the car in question? I can run it through a VIN decoder and get the real scoop on if it's been converted or not.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Maybe he has a 49-state VX with a hood (with the emissions sticker on it) from a CA Civic hatch?
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

guys, you know what? I might have inadvertently mislead you. I say that because I just noticed that the hood is an ever so slightly different shade of white than the rest of car. It may well be a swap from another civic.

TomO, the VIN is coming at you. Thanks for offering to work some magic.

I feel kind of embarrassed. haha