VX with rattle/hesitation issues - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

VX with rattle/hesitation issues

Hey guys,
So I haven't had my VX for very long and I'm in the process of cleaning it up and changing out bad parts. Recently, I've had the timing belt and water pump replaced. The timing belt I think was put on too tight and is causing a sort of whirling noise, but I can have that adjusted. Before either of these two parts were replaced though, I've had an issue with a rattle that comes on in 1st gear after 1500 rpms and 2nd gear after 2000 rpms. I do have a bad input shaft bearing that I will get fixed soon, but could it be the input shaft bearing that is making the noise in 1st and 2nd gear? The input shaft bearing does make a noise when my foot is off the clutch at idle. But when I rev the engine at idle it doesn't make the rattle noise I hear when I'm driving. I have posted a video on Youtube demonstrating the sound. Also, I've noticed that when I shift into 2nd gear and if I floor it, it'll start hesitating for a good 3 seconds and then continue on. I've also included a clip of this. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks

Clip of the rattle noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpg2QiLSp8M

Clip of the hesitation (starts at :09 until :14):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqnisNSFy4E

poi_boi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
I can't hear anything but wind noise. But it's very common for the exhaust heat shields to rattle on these Civics.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

I just replaced the input bearing on a '97 HX with 150k. Sounded almost identical to that.
Diy it here:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...tranny+sealant

As for the hesitation I've heard the O2 sensor could be the issue (could) or it can sometimes be the throttle body shafts wearing out and creating a vacuum leak when they are moved.
Daveedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
Registered Member

That is a seriously bad "hesitation" problem, more like a full on mis-fire. What is the year and mileage of your VX and how long has the o2 sensor been on?

My 1992 VX had just over 100,000 on the second sensor and had (by comparison) more of stumble, studder at exacly those same RPM's. The cure in my case was a new L1H1 and it is flawless now. They are available for $99 as I have posted in other threads.

Regarding the rattle sound, it might be easier to suggest but I don't know the when the sound that's bugging you shows up without a reference to the track as you posted for the hesitation.
SCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies,
Well after messing around with the car some more I realized I needed to change out some more parts.
- O2 Sensor is black as night
- Exhaust Manifold has a crack down the middle where the O2 sensor is
- Spark plugs are bad/ Plug wires don't properly fit

So far I've ordered all these parts: 5 Wire 02 Sensor, Fed ECU, Conversion Harness, NGK Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, NGK Plug Wires

I'm also soaking the EGR valve and cleaning the EACV and will be cleaning the EGR ports tomorrow

I have another question on the exhaust manifold.. is the Dorman 674-545 exhaust mani. a good replacement? I'm not sure if it's a reputable brand but I do see Autopartsdirecttoyou.com and Rock Auto both sell the Dorman exhaust mani. as a replacement, and so I'm wondering if this would be ok? Or should I get a used DX manifold?

P.S. My MPG is at 33 which is horrible! But I'm doing everything I can to get it where it needs to be
poi_boi_23 is offline   Reply With Quote