Wankel Sealing Info - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hmmm...maybe I should have tried running my RX2 w/o coolant...I know after I overheated it once, it was never the same...would run hot, lose coolant, etc. But...I was still able to punish all my friends who thought they were fast...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Hmmm...maybe I should have tried running my RX2 w/o coolant...I know after I overheated it once, it was never the same...would run hot, lose coolant, etc. But...I was still able to punish all my friends who thought they were fast...
Hey, moderators; we don't disagree on everything!

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
Registered Member

Rotaries make it 130 to 140K and then just blow, meaning the sping pressure on the seals just can't hold anymore from being ground down and combustion pressure wins. I have read the reports on rotary sites about shutting the engine off, then ignition off and roll over the engine while spraying oil down the intake to make sure the engine starts in the morning, stuff like that. That's what yo do with an old rotary.

The 2 rotors have 3 sides times 2, its a 6 cylinder, the 1300 cc Wankle when running has the equivalent of 3.9 litres of displacement. That's why you get 16 city and 27 highway. My friend used to have one, I would short shift it and it sounded like an old Austin Healy 6 keeping it low in the RPM's, decent city mileage if you drive it like that. Hit the gas and that little engine spins up and sucks the gas.

I used to always want to take a VW and drop in a rotary, the engines are the same weight, 200 lbs. but you go from 60 horses to 110.
GasSavers_Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatto View Post
Hey, moderators; we don't disagree on everything!
LOL!

As for how long rotaries last...I have an RX2 sitting in my driveway (and looking for a new home, by the way...) which has around 60k miles on it, and it's on its third engine, with about 2k miles (and 20 years) since rebuild.

I have also seen a few of the last generation RX7s in junkyards with 250k+ miles on them...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #15
Registered Member

If taken care of, they CAN last for a really long time. The main cause of them blowing seems to be carbon buildup on the apex seals (or at least the FC's and FD's).

I had 1 - FD and 5 - FC's. The "good" thing about a rotary is that even after you "blow" the motors (blow an apex seal) the thing will still run. When I blew the seal(s) in my '91 GXL I was still able to drive it the ~5 miles home.

I love the sound and the smoothness of the rotaries, it is just a shame that they do not get better mileage (I would love to have another as my daily driver, but only if it got 35+ highway).
Old 04-22-2010, 08:14 AM   #16
Registered Member

ben98gs
Maybe you don't know how far it is from San Francisco to The San Fernando Valley and you didn't use Google Map to find out that I drove my RX-2 over 400 miles with no water in it.

How, you ask?
Oil cooled rotor and an oil cooler. Unlike a piston engine, the rotary can't sieze.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #17
Registered Member

I was basically agreeing with you... lol My house just happened to be only 5 miles away, not on the opposite side of town or anything.