Water injection plus warm air intake - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
Water injection plus warm air intake

My current car has a water injection system, and is turbo. I have been thinking about trying to get a filter onto the turbo (right behind the radiator) for warm air, and then using the water injection to cool the air off when I get into boost. Does anyone see a problem with this?

GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Rather than having a full time warm air intake and having to inject water when you boost (regulating the water would be difficult), why not just have a T in the air snorkle and a vacuum operated flapper/diverter door (like the air preheater carbed cars used in the 70's and early 80's) that would draw from the hot air side when you had vacuum, and from the cold air side when you lost vacuum (went in to boost).

So the "default" setting would be a cold air intake, but intake vacuum would open a vacuum operated door to switch to warm air from around the turbocharger/exhaust manifold.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Dust
I already have the water injection system in place, and have several gallons through the car already. There is not enough room to plumb 2 pipes. I would also not know where to find a junkyard with the old cars to rig stuff up. I want the intake by the turbo partially for the warm air, and partially for the sound of the turbo. I can increase the jetting on the nozzles to increase flow for the extra heat. I will do some shopping tomorrow to se what I can find to jimmy rig an intake.
GasSavers_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote