What kind of car protection do you have that prevents getting your car stolen? - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #41
Registered Member

I don't wash it and let the rust spots speak for themselves. I could leave the keys in the car with a neon "steal me" sign and no one would take it.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #42
Registered Member

My brother had a nice coupe that was broken into all the time. I had a Volvo 245 full of junk and tools that was unlocked that was never messed with, even with public housing behind us......glad to not live in a city anymore.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:25 PM   #43
DRW
Registered Member

My car looks old and decrepit. It has faded paint and a noticeable but small dent near the drivers door. The interior is partially stripped, there's a big old cassette player in the dash and I always leave a tape in it so it's visible to prying eyes. I even leave a cassette case in view in the center console- it has a big neon orange star shaped sticker on it that says,'SPECIAL $1.99!' I got it at a truck stop, most gang-bangers in the city won't break into a car for an old country-western tape!

And I never leave anything valuable in the car. I knew a guy who had his car broken into and all that was taken was a soccer ball.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW
And I never leave anything valuable in the car. I knew a guy who had his car broken into and all that was taken was a soccer ball.
As above, sometime best not to lock the car, my father's office was this way 15 or so years ago, the security folks said it was best, leave it unlocked, let them look and move on....otherwise you were replacing glass.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:03 AM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I was thinking of getting the Autolock and placing that on my clutch. Without the clutch being depressed the car won't start.

I currently have an alarm with ignition disable.

-What do you currently have that prevents others from stealing your car???

-And what are your future plans to install something that prevents your car from getting stolen?
I have tried alarm systems, locks of one sort or another, decals, park away from other cars (for exposure), etc., etc.
The absolutely best thing I have ever found is a decal which states :"Insured by Smith & Wesson"! There are two on my 'Vette (one on each side), and one on my person ( a Smith & Wesson...not no dam* decal!).
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:44 AM   #46
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Hart
I have tried alarm systems, locks of one sort or another, decals, park away from other cars (for exposure), etc., etc.
The absolutely best thing I have ever found is a decal which states :"Insured by Smith & Wesson"! There are two on my 'Vette (one on each side), and one on my person ( a Smith & Wesson...not no dam* decal!).
The only car I ever had stolen (or broken into for that matter) had an NRA sticker on it.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:42 PM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveredwings
The only car I ever had stolen (or broken into for that matter) had an NRA sticker on it.
Yes ,thats a waste of time , criminals have bigger guns.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
I was thinking of getting the Autolock and placing that on my clutch. Without the clutch being depressed the car won't start.

I currently have an alarm with ignition disable.

-What do you currently have that prevents others from stealing your car???

-And what are your future plans to install something that prevents your car from getting stolen?
The best thing that I have to keep it from getting stolen is the fact that it's a 1993 Honda Accord in a no crime area. I don't lock the doors, and sometimes I leave the keys in the ignition. I'm not too worried about it.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:12 AM   #49
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Ah, the famous trunk monkey!