While I have the valve cover off... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

While I have the valve cover off...

This weekend, I was planning on adjusting the valves on my VX for the first time. While I'm at it, I will check (or replace) the timing belt/tensioner and water pump.

Anything else I should do while I'm in there? I'd like to not have to open it up again right away; I'll be replacing my rather leaky valve cover gasket.

What other preventive maintenance items can be taken care of with relatively little special equipment? I might add this is my first time in an engine, but I'll be taking my time (and I have the Helm's manual.)

(On a side note, I think my input shaft bearing is bad. It might be a while before I'm able to drop the tranny for that one.. anything else I should do while I have THAT out? Rear main seal, etc?)

Old 10-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Lean Burn Mode

Re: While I have the valve cover off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogfilet View Post
This weekend, I was planning on adjusting the valves on my VX for the first time. While I'm at it, I will check (or replace) the timing belt/tensioner and water pump.

Anything else I should do while I'm in there? I'd like to not have to open it up again right away; I'll be replacing my rather leaky valve cover gasket.

What other preventive maintenance items can be taken care of with relatively little special equipment? I might add this is my first time in an engine, but I'll be taking my time (and I have the Helm's manual.)

(On a side note, I think my input shaft bearing is bad. It might be a while before I'm able to drop the tranny for that one.. anything else I should do while I have THAT out? Rear main seal, etc?)
Sounds like a great maintenance program. One other thing I always like to suggest is have the injectors clean and flow tested.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Re: While I have the valve cover off...

Ended up going pretty well... the old gasket was very brittle and actually broke when I pulled it out.

About half the valves needed adjustment... I used a 10mm wrench and a screwdriver, but I can see how the "valve lash tool" could be a big help. I had to do a couple valves more than once when the screw went out of adjustment as I tightened the jam nut.

I also did a compression test... 190 across all four cylinders! Though it did take a good 10-12 cranks to get up to pressure.