Who replaced his LAF sensor (O2 sensor, Civic Vx)? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEI View Post
Yes I have cleaned the EGR.
That is good that you have cleaned the EGR, now have you cleaned the EGR ports?

Quote:
I have checked this. It’s good.

That looks like it's the 12° timing mark (lights up when using a timing light to check timing) What does the timing look like when you check the TDC (Top Dead Center) mark against the TDC mark on the cam gear?

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:55 PM   #12
VEI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
That is good that you have cleaned the EGR, now have you cleaned the EGR ports?
No, it seemed clean.
And I have the same problem when EGR is DISCONNECTED !

Quote:
That looks like it's the 12? timing mark (lights up when using a timing light to check timing) What does the timing look like when you check the TDC (Top Dead Center) mark against the TDC mark on the cam gear?
I don't understand your question.
Red mark = 16?
Black mark = TDC (0?), first cylinder.

VEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
^^^ok, there are two different things to check when you "check timing".

TDC is the black mark....when that mark is in the pointer, is the TDC mark on the Camshaft pulley at the TDC mark on the inside of the upper timing belt cover?

The other way of checking timing is to have the car running and see what the ignition timing is set at. That is when you use a timing light and look at the pulley to see where the timing mark is at. Like the picture you posted.

I hope that makes sense to you. Let me know if it doesn't.

How did you check the EGR ports? Did you remove the EGR plugs in the intake manifold and check?

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
I know your opinion. But I would have several answers, several opinion before make a choice.

Ok, you have not this problem with your new sensor, but sometimes, you have the CEL. Your AFR is perhaps a litle diff?rent, more rich. I don't know.

It's difficult for me to explain my problem.
With the new exhaust manifold (no cat.), the accelerator response is different. The "response delay" is more "brutal".
But before, with d15z1 exhaust, I think I already had a "response delay" and some hesitations in lean burn. (More that when I bought the car).

Maybe I am crazy. It is possible that this is normal. I don't know.
I don't think it is possible it is normal. I think no one has replied to that comment because I think the opinion of everyone else is also that it is not normal. It's wishful thinking my friend in lieu of a $320 fix to your problem. Granted I don't know much about cars, but the little I've picked up about my car on this forum leads me to believe there is little other recourse for you in the matter of your stumble/power lag/power surge issues upon acceleration. I can also say that with my car the problem was worse the lower the RPM, which seems to be true for you as well (at 3900RPM you said the problem was not present) I did have the same problem as you. And through the same advice the people here are giving you, I applied to my own car and the problem was fixed. If you search through the forums you'll find other VX owners who had similar problems fixed by replacing their old o2 sensors. o2 sensors do not always throw a CEL when they are not performing at their best and could use replacing. My car was not giving me a CEL when I replaced the o2 sensor, and yet the o2 sensor was the main culprit to the problem. You may want to try www.honda-tech.com to see if you can elicit a different opinion over there, tho.

The replacement of the o2 sensor had the largest positive effect for my car. The right spark plugs also had a big effect for improving the stumble problem. And I think the other things mentioned can't hurt and may help with that specific problem. Anyway, if I come across a little brusque, I don't mean to be rude (look at my title, I sometimes have a hard time being polite) I am trying to help you. Or at least save you some time.

One more thing: it seems that the life span of the o2 sensors is around 170,000 miles, give or take a few 10k. Your car has around 165,000? Basically, there is no indication that your o2 sensor might be fine, and lots of indication that it needs replacing. Namely the CEL, the bad stumble/power lag/surge and the fact that nothing else you have tried has fixed the problem. Anyway, I suppose you can't be too certain about something when it's as expensive as the o2 sensor to fix.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #15
VEI
Registered Member

Quote:
^^^ok, there are two different things to check when you "check timing".

TDC is the black mark....when that mark is in the pointer, is the TDC mark on the Camshaft pulley at the TDC mark on the inside of the upper timing belt cover?

The other way of checking timing is to have the car running and see what the ignition timing is set at. That is when you use a timing light and look at the pulley to see where the timing mark is at. Like the picture you posted.

I hope that makes sense to you. Let me know if it doesn't.
Ok, now I understand what is ?timing?. The word is completely different in French
I was thinking about ignition.

Yes, the marks are correct and I have checked my ignition timing (my picture).

But I must replace my timing belt (normally next month).

Quote:
How did you check the EGR ports? Did you remove the EGR plugs in the intake manifold and check?
I have checked under the EGR valve and no carbon.
But, I have the same problem (lag) when the EGR valve is disconnected. So, I think that EGR is good.
VEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
I just replaced mine, but don't have a baseline for mileage. Hell, I don't even know when I enter lean burn... Would be nice if a lean burn light came built in.
Or if some smart member could design a circuit to turn on an idiot light when in lean burn.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 AM   #17
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigifrith View Post
Or if some smart member could design a circuit to turn on an idiot light when in lean burn.
This idiot would buy one!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:08 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion View Post
Would be nice if a lean burn light came built in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogncatboy View Post
This idiot would buy one!
I'm working on it soon, it's on my list of things.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
That would be nice.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
That would be pretty sweet TomO. I'm assuming at this point that I'm in lean burn whenever the pedal is feather footed, and I'm out of lean burn when I feel that little power kick and the throttle won't give more power.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote