Automatic Civics? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

I'm getting ok numbers from my '05 civic dx with auto trans

Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 AM   #12
Registered Member

I've averaged up to 37mpg in my 97 civic auto with 80% highway driving at 65-70mph, taking 20 mile commutes to work and back.

But I recently got the idea that my speedometer is about 9% fast - according to my friends 2007 Impala, which I would presume would be more accurate? As well as the police radars on the side of the road that show your speed. (Although I don't have a clue why my car would be off. I ride the same size tires as I'm suppose to, I think.)

GasSavers_veloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:52 AM   #13

I get around 32 City MPG in my auto civic and around 40 highway. I absolutely hate the fact that I can try to drive so carefully and efficiently and the auto does not allow me to get good mileage. I am looking into installing a way to control my TC lockup, because the biggest reason ATs get worse FE than MTs is because of that damn energy-wasting torque converter.
varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 AM   #14
Registered Member

I'm averaging 36-38 mpg with mine...no mods, was getting these numbers even before the scanguage...just the u sual neutral coasting, occasional engine off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
P.S. I must be a wierdo as I think just because a guy can afford to do something, doesn't mean he should. I can afford to buy 100 gallons of gas several times a month, pour it on the ground, light it (or not)... but I don't think I should.
GasSavers_Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #15

mine is a 93 DX automatic with 199K. my all time best MPG was 40.8. My worst was 27.5mpg I usually get around 34-35 and that is mostly on the highway.
dletm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
Registered Member

93' DX automatic.
Worst has been around 30 MPG ( city driving )
Best was over 56 on the highway. ( tailwind )
Usually, I break 50 when driving on interstate highways.
How ?
I drive so slow that I literally have Winnabagoes pass me while flipping the finger. ( No joke )
For example I drive around 55 in a 65 zone - 65 in a 75 zone etc.

Aero mods seem to be good for a couple of MPGs - but only at highway speeds.
Nerds laugh at me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #17
Registered Member

I have a 2003 Civic 4dr EX and am getting around 32mpg...check out my log. Actually my wifes V6 Accord doesn't do too bad because of the way she drives...when she drives my Civic, it gets better mileage. Perhaps I need to encourage her to get rid of the V6 and spring for Hybrid Civic.

Does anyone know what the Honda diesel are coming out?

Take our gasoline as precious

-SDF
smalldisplacementfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Scott_in_Tulsa
I have a 2000 Civic Coupe EX w/ auto trans. I just bought it 2 months ago with 63,000 miles and have been getting between 33 and 35 mpg. I just hit 35 mpg with the last tank doing as much neutral coasting with the engine running as possible.

I have a 76 mile daily commute (round trip) and it is 90% highway with little traffic. I can pretty much leave the cruise on the whole time but have been testing the neutral coasting concept since I can do so without ticking off the other drivers when I slow down.

Does anyone have any idea how to get 38 mpg out of a Civic auto? That is my new goal for my vehicle. Definitely open to ideas here.

Thanks,

Scott in Tulsa
Old 03-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #19
Registered Member

My auto experiences lead me to have the opinion that the following is best for FE with them...

Don't try to accelerate too gently from a standstill ... below about 2000 RPM you're really just churning fluid in an auto... get about 60% efficiency, just give it a touch more gas so you're between 2000 and 3000 and you get about 90% efficiency. It gets better at a steady speed, so no need to scream round with it in 2, and you can accelerate gently with traffic at 30, or on the highway, but IMO trying to granny an auto from a red light is wasting gas.

Change fluid regularly, (~30,000 miles or 2 years) old fluid has poor lubricity and is too thin to transmit power effectively.

Advanced:

Turn up the line pressure for firmer shifts.

Fit a severe duty shift kit for firmer shifts and less slush.

Try adding "Lucas Transmission Fix" it will stop any wasted power from seeping seals inside the transmission, and also thickens up the fluid a bit effectively increasing pressure, leading to firmer shifts, and better power transmission through the torque convertor. Friction modifiers will help worn linings grip better.

Experimental:

Increase line pressure, add shift kit and fill with Universal Tractor Fluid.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:35 AM   #20
Registered Member

Doh! So much of my old racing knowledge applies to FE, either directly or inversely. But I forgot about stall speeds on torque converters! Good point, RW. Thanks.

I've bought the parts to build an adjustable throttle limiter, so I can do an acceleration experiment. i.e. four runs at 20%, 30%, 40%, etc. And I've picked a stretch of road to perform it on. I just need to get busy and do it.

s2man is offline   Reply With Quote