Car pulling to the side - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Registered Member

Yes left to right to see if it follows the tire. The weights are a non issue as states when I said tire I ment a diffrent size ie 175 and a 180. Check your tie rods inner and outer and ball joints all will cause a pull and tire wear.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
This wasn't mentioned anywhere but did you check your tire pressure? does it pull at high speed or low speed or all the time?

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Guys great feedback. Tire pressure i keep the same but I'll check. Also i see no uneven wear on tires. However i just noticed when car is cold i heard once clicking click click click when turning left. Now when car warmed up and it stopped. I went to gym after the gym 45min later i tried to do this again when it was cold but it would not. Will try in the am but is that a tie rod or ball joint it sounds like and if so how long would that last. It did that once so far and can't replicate unless dead cold i think. Will try in am when it stood 10hrs.
sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebass View Post
clicking click click click when turning left.
Normally that would mean a failing CV joint. I don't remember, from the one time it happened to me, whether it can be intermittent or not...I only remember it happening every time I turned.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:51 AM   #15
Registered Member

A couple of thoughts:

The clicking you hear might be the CV joint and it might be something else, and it might what is related to the pull.

So swap the tires side to side to what what happens. No, this is not the same as a tire rotation - which is some form of front to rear. THIS is a test.

And 3 weights? Normally you need 2 weights to balance a tire, but sometimes when the tire and wheel assembly is checked after the weights are applied, the machine will call for a small additional weight. (I'll bet one of those 3 weights is a tiny one) When that happens, the easiest thing to do is slap on one more rather than remove the other ones and start over.

The reason for the additional weight? Round off error in the machine.

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Yes clicking sound CV joint dry or has grit in it and once turned the grease often redistributes itself and fixes the problem for awhile. if your alignment was okay then you should not have problems with tie rod ends or ball joints because they would check that when they did the alignment. It's more likely and issue with your tires not being inflated properly. Or else your entire car is out of alignment, does it go down the road straight? It could be the rear end alignment!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Registered Member

I have had a few tires with slipped belts (a subtle bulge in the tread) that caused the car to pull. I could also "feel" the lump when coasting at a really slow speed (2-5 mph)- it felt like I was repeatedly driving over really low speed bumps (the car would pitch a little bit as it went over the bulge). Upon careful inspection, I could usually find the bulge.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
Registered Member

Really awesome feedback guys. Thank you. When i was changing oil guy shown me torn right axle boot so i'm sure dirt, sand and else got in there. My wheel bearing was also installed on right side. Mechanic that installed wheel bearing did not mention anything to me about torn boot so i assume tore happened after wheel bearing install. He even said that he would tell me if he saw it. On side note. Would improperly installed wheel bearing cause boot torn or it's unrelated. I did not feel anything odd after install tho. Would torn boot cause some part to go bad like CV joint? I will swap tires sides but it's freezing now and i live in condo so not sure when/where i will do this. Btw what happens when cv joint gives up? I'm sorry if this is simple question but this is not my domain. It only happens occasionally, not every time i turn left. Does not happen when i turn right. Im hoping i can drive on it til spring. I do have spare v8 car so just trying to weight options here. I did not see any uneven tire wear on tires but good point with bulges. That i don't know. Car does not bump however. My city has one of the worst roads in the nation so it would not surprise me to find some. My car use to bump up and down when my tire pressure was at 48psi but not at 44. I have sumitmo with 51max.
sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I was just looking at/talking to someone about how wheel bearings get replaced in a 1991 Civic DX the other day...if my understanding is correct and the VX is the same then there are plenty of opportunities to tear the CV boot while doing the job. However, once the job is done, I don't see how it can be improperly installed other than maybe wrong preload, and that couldn't tear the boot.

The torn boot allowing dirt in would definitely result in a CV joint failure. CV failure results in clicking while turning, as discussed in posts 14 and 16 above.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Registered Member

Yes you can tear a boot when doing a wheel bearing, but it could also just have happened. No when a cv fails the axle falls out of the car. Not just clicking. It can be very serious and very dangerous. You can drive on a clicking axle sometimes for years or sometimes days you don't know. If it clicks always while driving be worried.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote