Car stopped moving - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Registered Member

Car stopped moving

OK...so my wife and I are running an errand in Los Angeles today in the Cad. Stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway, moving about 20-30 mph. Traffic breaks up, I hit the gas, the engine revs, but the car doesn't pick up speed. The engine and transmission no longer seem to be in communication with one another. We have enough momentum to reach a relatively less unsafe spot to pull over. No matter what gear the car is in, it will not move. I put the car in gear, got out, looked at the output shafts from the transaxle, nothing. Transmission fluid is OK.

Car has, off and on for a couple months had a tick-tick sound when in reverse or neutral. A mechanic friend suggested a cracked flex-plate, I looked at it and didn't see any cracks. I could imagine a damaged flex-plate causing this problem, but I wouldn't think the car would restart after I shut it off. It starts up fine, so the flex plate would seem to be in one piece.

Any thoughts? Anyone out there a transmission maven?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

which car is this? If it's the metro, maybe it's prime time to do a transmission swap to a manual.

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

As someone who has experienced a few automatic transmission failures over the years it sounds like the tranny is dead. I've never done one on a FWD car, but I have replaced transmissions in my Buick and my 74 C-10 by myself, and it wasn't that complicated. Used TH-350's were cheap. Not sure how much, or how complicated a tranny swap on an Eldorado would run though.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure I'll have to replace the transmission...mostly I was curious just what might have failed inside of it. Most car books don't give any information on transmissions other than don't mess with 'em. The other times I've had transmissions fail, the car would usually move in low (or low and second) and reverse.

It'll have to wait for a little bit...I just picked up a '98 Ford Windstar really cheap that has a knock in the engine...sounds like either bent pushrod or rocker has loosened up.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

I once took one of my failed transmissions apart before hauling it to the dump. The bands had worn clean through the housing. I guess if I felt really adventurous I could have JB welded over the hole, sanded it down, and attempted to reassemble it, but I picked up a junk 1980 Buick Century wagon for $200, and scavenged the transmission as well as many other parts before giving away what was left of it.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #6
Registered Member

my fear is to have someone remove and work on the tranny @ a greater price than just replacement. good luck brother!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

since the geos really have no business with being coupled to an automatic transmission, if this doesn't give you enough of an incentive to swap to manual, I don't know what will. You could even do a guide on it! Just find a really messed up M/T geo and swap out the parts you need, note what parts that you needed and then post the guide up for all to see.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Site Team / Moderator

I thought it was the Cadillac Eldorado that had the tranny problems?

Old 02-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
jmf
Registered Member

I've had a torque converter shread on my xj6. I rebuilt the trans myself and replaced the converter. It really was easier than I thought it would be. Is the cad rear wheel drive?

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Site Team / Moderator

Its an Eldorado. Its FWD.