Civic VX clutch - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Civic VX clutch

I'd estimate more like 4-5 hours as well. The axles and starter need to be removed as well as the shift linkage, grounding cables and clutch slave cyl. Drop the passenger side mounts, unbolt and remove the trans.

Clutches are pretty universal for the 1992-2000 civics with the d series motor. The exedy kits are known for oem type quality at a fraction of the price. Needless to say you won't need anything high performance.

You may want to consider tearing into the transmission and replacing the input shaft bearing and countershaft bearing while it's out. It could go a long time, or could crap out tomorrow. Since few people actually service the transmission on schedule (15k miles) it's more than likely not going to last as long as you'd like it to. The parts are at the dealership for about $55. New axle seals never hurt too.

hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #12
Registered Member

^What hondaguy said x2!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks everyone......appreciate the advice! Hondaguy...I would actually prefer a performance clutch due to the fact that I will tow my little harbor freight trailer with it. Any recommendations for a performance clutch?
aronhk_md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
Registered Member

^Exedy is still a good option, IMO, with some performance clutch options.

Others from RA:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...Z1%255D%2BSOHC

Amazon listings with Exedy and other performance clutch kits:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder...4081&carId=001
Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Registered Member

If you really want a good clutch that will take some abuse, then the ACT product is a good choice. Be prepared to spend about $300 for the kit.

This is the kit you'd want. Anything more would be a waste and give a very stiff pedal:

ACT HC5-SPSS
hondaguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Registered Member

Thanks guys. I'm guessing those clutches should be good for a bit of light towing and a turbo making an extra 25 or so hp.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #17
Lean Burn Mode

The ACT clutch is what I have been using on all my D series turbo setups.

It will easily handle the power your going to throw at it.

Here's a write up I did several years ago on my sons car. It covers the turbo install and some info on running a after market management system.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/force...-write-up.html

I love your idea of adding a turbo to your VX Civic. Its something I have been wanting to do for some time now.

I too am a turbo guy. Almost every car I own or tune one has a turbo on it. From a 9.6@142mph Mustang on "low boost" that gets 16 mpg on E85
http://youtu.be/q4jhZTZTsdI to my daily driver 91' Talon that runs high 10's on pump gas and gets 40mpg.

It still amazes me what you can achieve with a turbo and a good efi system.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #18
Registered Member

Sounds good guys on the ACT clutch. Ive been a forced induction guy for a long while. My trans am is the first turbo. She hit 1064 hp at 15 psi with the old setup.....with the new I expect in the 1200 range. She used to be a drag strip and street car.....now she is street and roadracing oriented. I have yet to update the webpage from last yr, but its

http://www.americantorque.com/page/1/62/

for anyone interested.

pgfpro..........very cool sounding cars. I love the idea of the talon....sounds awesome. I cant wait to get EFI on the trans am, and a 4L80e 4 speed transmission. With the aerodynamic modifications she should be able to pull off mid 9 second quarters still, and a top speed of close to 200 mph. All while pulling in around 18 mpg on 91-93 octane with the A/C on......lol.

As for the turbo VX......not looking to go too radical this time around. The idea would be to just get maximum mpg in a daily driver, with a drop extra HP on tap for those times when you need it with that tall gearing. And I think the turbo with EFI sounds perfect. Just might take me a while to get there with the other things I have going on...lol. No hurry though....have been keeping my eye open for a VX for over a year.