civic vx clutch slave cylinder preload - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

civic vx clutch slave cylinder preload

Yet another question,

I installed a bendix slave cylinder and had to compress it slightly to bolt it up on the tranny. I imagine that this is for self adjust ment but the helms says not to have any pressure on the release bearing. I guess this much pressure is allowable?

honerscivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: civic vx clutch slave cylinder preload

This is fine- as the clutch wears, it will actually be compressed more and more- the fingers on the pressure plate will move outward as the disk gets thinner.

Unlike a cable operated clutch, there has to be light contact with the release bearing on a hydraulic clutch or else the pedal will go to the floor like the brake pedal does the first time it is depressed after a brake job.

It is possible to adjust the clutch master cylinder rod length so that the fluid is always under pressure (which means there is significant pressure on the release bearing)- I think this is what they are warning about.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Yeah, the preload is normal and accepted in hydraulic systems. I had exactly the same question with the same concern when I did mine.

Here's where I learned about that in my build thread:
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/v...2612&start=285
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/v...2612&start=300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rope-Pusher
You said that the slave cylinder preload spring will extend the pushrod all the way to the end of it's travel if nothing stops it. Doesn't that mean that it is pushing the release lever until the bearing is tight against the diaphragm fingers?
On any HCRS, when the slave is preloading the bearing and the clutch pedal is at it's upstop, the pushrod of the master cylinder should be fully extended, so that the piston in the master cylinder uncovers the port in the cylinder wall that leads to the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Then the fluid gravity feeds into the now unpressurized forward side of the master cylinder and fills any voids in the line. When you push on the clutch pedal, there may be some clearance in the connection between the pedal and the MC pushrod, and there will be some amount of pushrod movement before the MC piston moves far enough to block the fluid reservoir port before you can start building any pressure in the HCRS line in order to start building pressure at the slave cylinder to start to extend the pushrod there and start releasing the clutch.
Rope-Pusher is a retired engineer from a major auto manufacturer's manual transmission division.

HCRS = Hydraulic Clutch Release System (engineer-speak for hydraulic clutch).
Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Registered Member

Wow, thanks for the great replies. I do have about .5 inch of pedal travel before pressure builds so I know I'm good there. I can put this out of my mind now.
honerscivic is offline   Reply With Quote