column shifter? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #1

column shifter?

Does anyone here prefer the column shifter over the shifter on the floor in an automatic?

I might be the only person in the world who likes the shifter on the column.

On plus of it is that it gives you a place to rest your hand when you are station surfing on the radio!

dletm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I love the column shifter, along with a 60/40 split bench with fold-down/up armrest. Besides being out of the way, I've always loved exactly the same radio-changing handrest function as you.

Automatics have no reason to clutter the console area with a shifter. There's nothing that most people need to do with it while driving. In new models there are various types of manual control, but having a column shifter doesn't even prevent that:

...and of course, then there's always paddle shifters or buttons on the face of the steering wheel.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

I had a Chevy S-10 with a column shifter. Now that you mention it, I guess I did sort of like that better. Not a strong preference, though, so I'd never thought about it before. All my other cars have been manual, but I drove other people's automatics with the floor shifter.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
Registered Member

i prefer the column shifter even tho i dont like automatics in general, it prevents me from wanting to "shift" the floor shifter like a manual lol.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

"Best" of both?
I have a four speed manual column shifter in my Saab.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

This thread always puts the Cake song Stick Shifts and Safety Belts in my head.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
Site Team / Moderator

When I'm Cruisin' in my Malibu... Haven't heard that song in ages...

Jay2TheRescue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #8

I really like the dash-mounted gearshift on the Nissan S-Cargo... don't know if any of those ever got to the US.
markweatherill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 AM   #9
Registered Member

Depends on the car I guess, can't imagine driving Marvin with a floor shifter, it would be too low, and I like the center console shifter in Wile-E...

Bigger cars or those with more upright seating are better suited for column shifters, smaller cars with a lower, sportier driving position are better suited to the center console shifter I guess.

However... I miiiight at some point try rigging a button or paddle shifter on Wile-E when I discover more about how the electrics work, since it's an electronic auto in him.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by markweatherill View Post
I really like the dash-mounted gearshift on the Nissan S-Cargo... don't know if any of those ever got to the US.
Like this?

We don't have the S-Cargo in the US, but we have minivans and SUVs with that dash-mounted console shifter. I don't like it. It's more intrusive than a column shifter, but offers none of the additional convenience of a floor-mounted console shifter.