D15Z1 (economy vtec) In to 88 Civic Transmission Question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

D15Z1 (economy vtec) In to 88 Civic Transmission Question

So i am trying to get the best MPG for my car but i am not sure what transmission will work with my car as is and the D15Z1 (aka economy vtec). The car is Automatic as of now. My questions are.

1) If i keep it as Automatic, what transmission will mount to the D15z1 engine and still mount to the car?

2) Will there be a problem if i use an OBD1 Engine with an OBD0 Transmission? GIven that i am using an OBD1 ECU?

3) is there an Automatic OBD1 Transmissiont hat will mount on my 88civic (currently Automatic) and still bolt on to the VX engine?

HELP!!!! (its my first swap)

8Civic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
*shrug*

Use the stock transmission if you want to stay auto, but that would suck.

There will be no issue, but you will have to rig up the transmission outside of ecu control.

No.

I highly suggest going stick shift, it's cake to drive anyway and will prolly give you another 10MPG.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

What do you mean by riging up the transmission outside of ECU control?

I know how to drive stick, but i am trying to save money on this swap. The car is really old (but cool) and i would like to have it more dependable than it is now as it juts hit 200k and it leaks oil everywhere. Besided the car handles good, and it feels like a go-kart.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

Would i be able to have my car taken to the referee station? and pass? If i use the stock Transmission(riggin outside of ECU control) , with the VX engine and the P07 ECU for a manual vehicle?
Old 08-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
*shrug*

I mean giving the lockup solenoid constant power rather than having the ecu determine the lockup.

Yes, you could pass.

However, consider that I do my auto to manual for ~100-150 bucks, my transmission was free, and that I could sell you a clutch and flywheel for a very reasonable price, , you'll save more money in the end.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Where do i find the lockup solenoid, is there a thread or website i could look at regarding this?

How did you pull a conversion for $150. If i could do that i would so do it. I would need a shift linkage, pedals, flywheel, trans, cable, clutch... What do you have and how much?
Old 08-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
*shrug*

I have a thread on here, lemme dig it up. It'll be b10 on the obd1 plugs, I wired it to constant power. There's really no difference to it.

I'll give you a quick rundown of what I spent on things:
- Shiftlinkage 20 shipped
- Clutch Cable 15 shipped
- Pedals 20 shipped
- Flywheel Free Off Engine I picked up
- Transmission Free From a Guy on H-T
- Clutch Free From Guys at My Old Shop
- Mounts 40 bucks (didn't all come with the tranny, some did though)

I have a bead blasted (basically just cleaned up and shiny) flywheel I spent 20 on that I was going to use but then got my other one (I actually have two spare right now).

I also have the used but good condition clutch that came with the flywheel I'm using, it's OEM Honda so it's still in good shape, mehbe 20-30 bucks for that. I have a new clutch but it's promised to ufotofu right now if he wants to do his auto to manual.

I don't have anything else I don't think but I have plenty of hooks up with people on h-t selling such things.

So really, comes out to like 95 bucks for me, Dax got his done for around the same price, and he prolly has parts as well.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:17 PM   #8
*shrug*

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=657

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=756

Two threads on the TCLUS.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I think i would rather convert it to Manual.

So youll sell me the flywheel and clutch for 95? Does that include the pressure plate?

but where do i get the rest of the stuff?
- Shiftlinkage?
- Clutch Cable ?
- Pedals ?

Oh and what transmission part number should i use, you said one off an CRX HF, whats the part number? Do you know.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Registered Member

Would i need anything else to make it Manual? Like misc hardware? How did you do it, did you document the process?