D15z1 vibrations, frustration running high - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #51
Registered Member

Re: D15z1 vibrations, frustration running high

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
Add-
Mine has done that since I bought it. I think it's due to the vacuum booster pulling extra vacuum during hard braking. That changes air pressure in the IM. The IACV has to "react" to a load event on the alternator if you turn on the headlights or run the blower on high. There is a lag between when the event occurs and the IACV "catches up." I've actually had mine stall during emergency braking (like when I hit a smallish deer). I keep my idle a little lower than spec, though, to save a few more drops of fuel.

The vibration goes up for sure, I'd say that's because the motor is spinning so slowly and one or more cylinders is running extra lean at that moment.

I'd say given the age of the IACV, wiring that feeds it, hoses, etc, its easy to see why the "catch up" time is a little longer than it was new. Newer cars have a "pre load event" warning system that alerts whatever device controls idle that you've just slammed on the brakes or turned on the headlights.

B
Okay, cool. Thanks for that feedback with your experience. That makes sense to me. I suspect somewhat of a sticky IACV, in part because I have a K&N drop-in filter installed and I recently re-oiled it(prematurely now in retrospect) so the excess oil may have sucked in.

By the way, I didn't have time to remove the breather chamber at this oil change, but still plan to do that. Probably when I do the spring oil change with warmer weather.

Aside from that, I've seen some videos on youtube, from users like ericthecarguy regarding Honda idle problems, and the fast idle valve(?) was 'run out' some. I might try to check that on my VX as well. I would like to plug in an actual oil pressure gauge at the pressure switch one day to see what the hot running OP is at idle vs what the spec is, hopefully when the same 'rough idle' sensation occurs.

PS: Not to get too off topic, but I've had a sound from between 40/45-55/60 MPH lately that sounds like a high-pitch ceramic 'churning/rubbing'; perhaps even a slight metal on metal?, and it's annoying me so much! It only makes this sound 'somewhat' often at those speeds and 'only' when the throttle is open, not when closed or coasting.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #52
Registered Member

I've been meaning to do the editing on my video about cleaning the breather chamber on the vx. Maybe I'll get to that over the holiday break. I filmed it when I cleaned it, I just need to edit it and throw it up on youtube.

I believe the vx does not have a fast idle control valve. Not positive on this, search the forums about it. Tom O posted a long schpeel about it some time ago. I could be wrong on that though.

No idea on the noise... maybe related to the clutch swap?
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #53
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
I've been meaning to do the editing on my video about cleaning the breather chamber on the vx. Maybe I'll get to that over the holiday break. I filmed it when I cleaned it, I just need to edit it and throw it up on youtube.

I believe the vx does not have a fast idle control valve. Not positive on this, search the forums about it. Tom O posted a long schpeel about it some time ago. I could be wrong on that though.

No idea on the noise... maybe related to the clutch swap?
B
Meh, IDK about noise. It was happening before clutch job, I went ahead with clutch job thinking it was premature failure sign showing itself. One aspect was, but this 'new' sound was unrelated apparently. It sounded like a construction job, with some hammers nailing away in the distance, we thought it was too(wife and I) until we stopped at a drive-thru and heard it clearly with window down/echo off the wall of building...that sound went away. The higher-pitched noise that sounds like 'rock' or 'ceramic' is between 40-60 and is only when the throttle is applied. Almost like air passage happening somewhere at a high rate of speed? 'eirrrRR' lol.

Anyway, what about the breather chamber on your VX? Any crud? Tips for when I do mine?? Would def like to see the video, thanks!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #54
Registered Member

VX has no fast idle valve, only the EACV.

I guess I can end this thread for now. Noise and "buzzing" in gear shift handle are still there but no more time/money to throw at it. Just going to drive until she blows. Car runs good though and is returning high 40's consistently but hoping to dip into the 50s again once the engine is fully broke in. Thanks for all the insight.
honerscivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #55
Registered Member

Awesome for you, I also found out about no FIV after that post. Re-read the manual.

I'm struggling to get into the 40s with my short trip driving and around here you have to drive 65 MPH on the interstate. That combined driving has me averaging around 38-40 MPG = lame. Tires at 40 PSI. Thinking of pushing to 50...