Did a quick search, found nothing... VX transmission fluid type? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Did a quick search, found nothing... VX transmission fluid type?

I recently purchased my Vx (1994), and I was curious to know what type of fluid the transmission takes? I've heard from some shops that it takes motor oil, and I've also heard the extreme opposite, that the transmission ONLY takes Honda Certified transmission fluid...

so which one is it? and what's the actual capacity (3 quarts)?

I was going to go with royal purple synochromax, or equivalent. But if someone has a suggestion for a tried and true method (with the least possible amount of fluid resistance but proper lubricating protection) let me know!

I was also going to run 0w-20, synthetic in the engine. thoughts/suggestions here?

Thanks a lot!

1994 honda civic VX, the DD!
mnstrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
In my sig meta thread (linked in my sig), there's a link to Honda service manuals. There's no 1993 Civic, but there's 1992 Civic, 1996 Civic, and 1994 Integra.

1992 Civic:
http://www.redpepperracing.com/techn...2074-2/aab.png
API Service grades SF or SG
SAE 10W30 or 10W40
(That's motor oil)

1994 Integra:
http://www.redpepperracing.com/techn...9824-3/aab.png
API Service grades SF or SG
SAE 10W30 or 10W40
(That's motor oil)

1996 Civic:
http://www.redpepperracing.com/techn...6051-2/aab.png
Honda MTF only (it warns that using motor oil will cause stiff shifting).

Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The motor oil in the 94 trans can cause stiff shifting in the extreme cold as well (until the trans warms up). Just go to Honda and get some Manual Trans fluid, it's not really expensive and you only need 2.25 quarts in the trans.

I will personally use Honda MTF or GM Syncromesh. But in the last year, Honda reformulated the MTF to be the same as the GM Syncromesh.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate it. the Honda guy said "we only use motor oil as a "temporary measure, until the owner can get the proper transmission fluid into the car".

1994 honda civic VX, the DD!
mnstrvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
The motor oil in the 94 trans can cause stiff shifting in the extreme cold as well (until the trans warms up).
i wonder if a 0W30 synthetic would remedy that?
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

The issue is the degree of friction the fluid allows. You could use motor oil back in the 80's because it's a simpler formulation than what they use now. Since then, they have added various friction reducing compounds which work great in the engine, but not so great in a transmission. The syncros need some friction in order to operate properly. If they slip too much, it takes longer and/or more force on the shift lever to get them to do their job of speed matching, perceived as stiff shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
i wonder if a 0W30 synthetic would remedy that?
Synthetics tend to have even more friction reducing compounds in them than dino oil, so I expect it would actually make the problem worse. On the other hand, if the symptoms are temperature dependent as TomO says, an oil with a lower cold weight would probably help.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

Honda MTF makes my 270k mile VX trans happy! Too bad I have to add a dash each month due to a faulty O-ring for the gear selector.

But this trans still shifts smoother than any other Honda trans out of the cars I've owned, I think partly due to using the correct fluid, and partly luck.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
Too bad I have to add a dash each month due to a faulty O-ring for the gear selector.
Where the shift linkage attaches to the transmission? It's an oil seal rather than an O-ring (different design, same function) and can be replaced with the transmission in the car if you're careful about it. You need to disconnect the lower linkage bar by driving out the "***** pin" (a roll pin), grab the end of the oil seal with a good set of pliers and pull it out using a back and forth twisting motion. It would probably be easiest to remove with the transmission warm.

[edit]Horray for censorship -_-*[/edit]
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #9

AFAIK, while motor oil will 'work,' it really isn't the best thing. My Accord's shifting was vastly improved by switching to Honda MTF. Somewhat surprisingly, the stealership price was quite reasonable. I suspect a quality aftermarket MT fluid would do just as well.

Geonerd is offline   Reply With Quote