Did Castrol Synthetic Ruin My Toyota? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-13-2011, 09:23 AM   #11
Registered Member

Re: Did Castrol Synthetic Ruin My Toyota?

Davo53209-
I was talking about 3 or 4 speed Auto transmissions. I just wasn't familiar with how many gears your auto has. I should have clarified what I was saying!

I'm putting my money on not complete failure but a solenoid or other such problem. The solenoid should be less than $200 installed, assuming it's that.

Used tranny's from bone yards would be the same as the ones on carpart.com. If you can find one locally at a yard, you'll save shipping costs. Also, you can save yourself some money if they let you pull it yourself. If you don't the skills/tools, friends and a 12 pack can help!
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
Registered Member

Most salvage yards have a 30 day money back guarantee. Of course this does not refund the installation costs.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
Davo53209-
I was talking about 3 or 4 speed Auto transmissions. I just wasn't familiar with how many gears your auto has. I should have clarified what I was saying!

I'm putting my money on not complete failure but a solenoid or other such problem. The solenoid should be less than $200 installed, assuming it's that.

Used tranny's from bone yards would be the same as the ones on carpart.com. If you can find one locally at a yard, you'll save shipping costs. Also, you can save yourself some money if they let you pull it yourself. If you don't the skills/tools, friends and a 12 pack can help!
B
I hope that you're right; but most especially, I hope that the garage that I took it to is honest about it.
Davo53209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Registered Member

just an alternate POV. i know nothing of transmissions, especially automatics but because this happened right after an oil change...

i had a similar incident happen after adding oil to my 2000 chevy prizm. pretty sure you have the VVTi motor as well. anyway, 3 mechanics couldn't figure it out...turns out it was the VVT filter that had gotten clogged. i removed, cleaned, and reinstalled it w/ no more issue--sold the car last year tho.

might not be your issue...just FYI.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
Registered Member

If worst case scenario were to happen, where I would need to swap out the old transmission for a used one, then what I would like to inquire about, is what I would need to be aware of, so that this transplant could be as headache free as possilbe. For example, what accessories would I need to order along with other things that I may not be aware of ordering?
With that, could anyone recommend a highly reputable supplier off of the internet? Also, As a side note, I've got to say that a used transmission for my car, appears to be much cheaper than I had anticiapted.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
just an alternate POV. i know nothing of transmissions, especially automatics but because this happened right after an oil change...

i had a similar incident happen after adding oil to my 2000 chevy prizm. pretty sure you have the VVTi motor as well. anyway, 3 mechanics couldn't figure it out...turns out it was the VVT filter that had gotten clogged. i removed, cleaned, and reinstalled it w/ no more issue--sold the car last year tho.

might not be your issue...just FYI.
You know lately, I couldn't help but think that something like this could have happen, due to the fact that this problem presented itself the day after the oil change. Would anyone else have any opinions related to a similar fluke or possibility. Like I mentioned eariler, I'm certain that it was oil that was drained out of the pan due to the fact that I got it on my hands after fishing around for the drain plug when it fell into the bucket.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Registered Member

It does seem very odd that they occured so clase together- especially on a vehicle with that few of miles.

It there any chance that you may have bent/damaged/dislodged a transmission component (fluid cooler tube, stretched a wire) when you jacked up the front end to change the engine oil?
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
It does seem very odd that they occured so clase together- especially on a vehicle with that few of miles.

It there any chance that you may have bent/damaged/dislodged a transmission component (fluid cooler tube, stretched a wire) when you jacked up the front end to change the engine oil?
No chance, I used ramps.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
Registered Member

Davo-
Any new data for us? What did the shop have to say?
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209 View Post
With that, could anyone recommend a highly reputable supplier off of the internet?
Rock Auto usually has pretty good prices and if you do a google search for Rock Auto promotional codes you can probably find one that will save you 5% off the total. Advance Auto also has some promotions going on where you can save up to 40% with online orders. I think the order has to total over $100 for the 40% discount, but if your order is less than $100 they also have a % discount depending on the total order. Again just do a google search. The best thing about using Advance is that you can place the order online and if a store in your area has the parts in stock you can pick them up at the store the same day, saves having to wait for delivery.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote