Exhaust manifold for my old Buick...I think. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
IT'S ALIVE!

I got it running today. While connecting the battery I did short the positive cable and smoke came from an unexpected place, but recklessly ignoring it I stayed my course. It started and ran, and I drove it around the block, and I am a happy man. It restored my morale about the car, despite additional rot I've found since last time.

I feel like with a couple hour's work and minimal money investment, I can get it roadworthy enough to drive to work (I guess I'll have to insure it, in that case). I'd have to repair the exhaust pipe at the rear; I have a piece of pipe already. I'd need a hose clamp for that exhaust whatsit. I'd have to spend an hour cleaning up leaves, debris, and mouse nest remains. I might have to get some tires mounted before it will pass inspection; I have tires that I got for an experiment on the VW which are a good size. Hooray!

Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
So, the bad news: Surging/bucking at ~45mph with heavy throttle trying to accelerate to 60. A couple years ago I figured out that it needs new spark plug wires or other ignition parts when I noticed that it has no power at all during rain but runs ok in dry air; it's a bit muggy today, so maybe that's what that was.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

From the sounds of it, get a new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. I recommend the 100,000 mile AC Delco platinums. I have them in my Buick and in Rusty. They're also not that expensive if you find them on sale...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #14
Registered Member

I'll be buying the parts in a couple weeks.

Today I took it out for its weekly (or weakly) drive around the block, and as usual when I got out on the main road I opened it up. This time it stalled during its surging/bucking behavior. Does that tell me I've got anything else to buy besides the aforementioned normal maintenance parts?
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Get a cap, rotor, plugs, & wires before you dig any further. That may fix your problem.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #16
Registered Member

A dirty fuel filter could also cause the bucking under prolonged high load conditions.

Bad plug wires will usually show up even during short term high load conditions (like flooring it at a stoplight and doing a "0-10")
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:32 AM   #17
Registered Member

Hmm...I idled it for a long time in the yard then drove to the end of the street and floored it, as usual; usually that causes it to buck and surge but not stall, this time it stalled.

I'll have to add fuel filter to the list, even if it didn't cause the problem. It hadn't even occured to me.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #18
Site Team

Sounds to me like your carb is gunked up.

-BC